Long interconnects.

We all start somewhere
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Long interconnects.

Post by pre65 »

Initially I plan to site the MoFo's close to each speaker, as the prototypes are too tall for my rack.

Eons ago I made two long leads for my Nicam video recorder from a (now unknown) type of co-axial cable ( 75 ohm aerial lead ?) but I'd like to make up another pair.

So, what cable is best for (say 4Mtr long) cable between pre and power amps ? And, is it bad if both leads are not the same length, say 2.5Mtr and 4Mtr.

The Audionote copy pre has output transformers (as does my Pre3) that are supposed to drive long cables.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#2 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by Scottmoose »

Balanced if possible. ;) If not, then high quality (not necessarily a synonym for 'expensive') coax.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by pre65 »

Edmund Burke

Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#4 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by Scottmoose »

Should be OK; seems a bit fancy. So long as it's a single conductor + [quality] shield, you're in business.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by pre65 »

Scottmoose wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:10 pm Should be OK; seems a bit fancy. So long as it's a single conductor + [quality] shield, you're in business.
I've ordered 12 Mtr so I can make a couple of shorter ones as well. :)

Edmund Burke

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by Mike H »

Probably too late but I've had great success (or at least I think so) with instrument cable from Rapid

Evolution XPC 301-011 20M Professional Instrument Cable Black 20m | Rapid Online

Though it's probably very similar to the above. I soldered gold plated phono plugs to the ends, quite fiddly to do though. 110 pF per metre. I've got a 7 metres long pair somewhere. I think originally it's for microphones and suchlike as very flexible.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by pre65 »

The green cable came the other day, and some nice looking phono plugs, branded "Monster Cable" but probably Chinese knock offs. I may order some more and re plug some of my existing leads.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-pcs-RCA-Ph ... 2749.l2649

I made a mistake and ordered screw fixing phonos, but no worry as they solder up OK.

So, when the current CD finishes on my MoFo listening session, I'll swap in the 1Mtr pair I've just made and see if I can hear any differences. To be honest I'm not expecting to.

Edmund Burke

chris661
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by chris661 »

Mike H wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:18 pm Probably too late but I've had great success (or at least I think so) with instrument cable from Rapid

Evolution XPC 301-011 20M Professional Instrument Cable Black 20m | Rapid Online

Though it's probably very similar to the above. I soldered gold plated phono plugs to the ends, quite fiddly to do though. 110 pF per metre. I've got a 7 metres long pair somewhere. I think originally it's for microphones and suchlike as very flexible.
That'll be for guitars etc. Microphones, pretty much without exception, are balanced output: SNR is important when we're talking milli-volts over (potentially) a couple of hundred metres of cable.

Chris
Nick
Site Admin

#9 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by Nick »

when we're talking milli-volts over (potentially) a couple of hundred metres of cable.
I would have thought most microphones were powered now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#10 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:40 pm
when we're talking milli-volts over (potentially) a couple of hundred metres of cable.
pretty much, although the ubiquitous sm58 still has a following......not over any lengths though.

oh and then theres them mics for harmonicas...still dynamics rule there I beleive
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by Nick »

oh and then theres them mics for harmonicas...still dynamics rule there I beleive
Yep, but every time I have been in the vicinity of one of them its been plugged directly into a nearby and old as possible valve guitar amp. Hum and noise being seen as essential ;-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
chris661
Shed dweller

#12 Re: Long interconnects.

Post by chris661 »

Nick wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:40 pm
Powered as in condenser mics, or a dynamic mic with a buffer stage running on the +48v feed?
Passive dynamic mics still rule live stages, since they're rugged and can handle very high SPLs. Some of them even sound good.

Chris