Poundland 45

What people are working on at the moment
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Poundland 45

Post by Cressy Snr »

The top of my existing 45 amplifier has been hacked about so much that it resembles a colander. The chassis has seen everything and has been weighed down with a ton of iron in the past, hence all the holes.
I decided to look into a building more compact setup: neater, no screws visible and more in keeping with the dinky dimensions of the valves themselves.
As a result of this pondering, I came up with this:
4703EF90-AE55-4568-A396-EE01757E411A.jpeg
4703EF90-AE55-4568-A396-EE01757E411A.jpeg (104.6 KiB) Viewed 5211 times
It’s a midi-sized component, made from a translam construction using seven bamboo chopping boards I got from Poundland for £2 each. Five of them have had their middles jigsawed out, to make a set of half-inch thick frames and two have been left solid to serve as top and bottom panels. Over the past week, six have been stacked, glued, clamped and sanded to within an inch of their lives, with the seventh (bottom panel) made detachable. I’ll detail the build as usual, but the circuit and power supply themselves are just the same as before, so not much new there.

As for the original walnut chassis; once this translam construction has been wired up and brought into service, I’ll let our Ant have it and maybe, with a new top-plate he can use it to house the breadboard he bought from Ed. It should easily be big enough, to make an attractive housing for the audio circuit at least.

Onwards! as they say.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: Poundland 45

Post by Ray P »

That looks nice Steve, Coincidentally I was looking at cutting boards yesterday as I will need a front panel for the new Follower I'm working on - yep, solid state, similar to the MoFo but using Tokin SIT devices.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
RhythMick
Old Hand

#3 Re: Poundland 45

Post by RhythMick »

Nice
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Poundland 45

Post by Cressy Snr »

Here is the schematic for the amp:
Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 16.02.31.png
Screenshot 2021-06-27 at 16.02.31.png (79.11 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
It's a 'Poundland' in more ways than one. Of course the case is made from Poundland chopping boards as previously mentioned, but also the output transformers are a pair of push-pull ones I rebuilt myself as single ended.
I've tried not to skimp on the audio circuit components, but the coupling caps are guitar amp jobbies, and the valve sockets are bog standard nickel plated Chinese units. The 45s from Paul and Mr I are of course not budget and the black Gate WKz final PSU cap is a loaner from Nick so I'm not counting that as budget either.
In terms of driver valves, it's just an ECC88 with both channels in a single bottle. It's a Philips Holland NOS, so not modern production. It does however sound great in the amp that exists at the moment. I also have a few Miniwatt PCC88s with the 7V heater, so I'm good for a long time with these. These were part of a package of valves I got from Shaman of this parish last year (or was it 2019?)

The underside of the top panel is part of a stainless steel, door kick plate I picked up for a few quid and everything will attach to that from below with self tappers apart from the earth bond and the 0V signal bond. These will be on bolts, with recesses for the heads sunk into the underneath of the wooden top plate.

Once this is built, there is no scope for changing the driver valve. To mod it apart from maybe coupling cap changes will be nigh on impossible. This is how I want it, as I want this to last me a long time. I've proven the circuit to my satisfaction and am more than happy with the sound quality. There seems little to be gained by going beyond this point unless I spend very big (which I can't) and I want some stability in the old sound system, so I can sit back and appreciate what I've got, thanks to some really rather generous people.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#5 Re: Poundland 45

Post by Ali Tait »

Nice job Steve. I guess similar could serve well as a TT plinth.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#6 Re: Poundland 45

Post by izzy wizzy »

Nice one. I like building in wooden boxes but have found things can get hot inside without good ventilation as unlike metal chassis, there is no conduction of heat.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Poundland 45

Post by Cressy Snr »

izzy wizzy wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:48 am Nice one. I like building in wooden boxes but have found things can get hot inside without good ventilation as unlike metal chassis, there is no conduction of heat.
Yes, the input socket panel on the rear is made of perforated ally and the base will have large holes in it, backed by the same perforated material.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Poundland 45

Post by Cressy Snr »

After much cutting, sanding, rubbing with linseed oil, paint spraying, filing and bleeding (literally) I’ve got as far as this:
F7E2C1B8-C039-437E-A5E7-4889ED4C49E2.jpeg
F7E2C1B8-C039-437E-A5E7-4889ED4C49E2.jpeg (117.79 KiB) Viewed 5028 times
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Poundland 45

Post by pre65 »

Did you consider doing the transformer bell ends black ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Poundland 45

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:43 pm Did you consider doing the transformer bell ends black ?
Yes and I rejected it. It would have been way too much blackness.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Poundland 45

Post by IslandPink »

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
RhythMick
Old Hand

#12 Re: Poundland 45

Post by RhythMick »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:51 pm
pre65 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:43 pm Did you consider doing the transformer bell ends black ?
Yes and I rejected it. It would have been way too much blackness.
Is there such a thing as TOO MUCH blackness ?
RhythMick
Old Hand

#13 Re: Poundland 45

Post by RhythMick »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
IslandPink wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:32 pm
ed
retired

#14 Re: Poundland 45

Post by ed »

I followed the johnny painter link and discovered the agro outtakes on youtube, talk about falling down the rabbit hole...I lost an entire hour, and I'm sure I'll go back for more later.......curses
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Poundland 45

Post by Cressy Snr »

It’s still funny after all these years. :D
We crawl on our knees towards our doom.