New direct drive turntable

What people are working on at the moment
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#1 New direct drive turntable

Post by mainscablesrus »

Some will know others won't, Nick and myself have been involved with a turntable project that started out about 5 years ago, 2 guys started it, one is a collector of uber high end japanese turntables from back in the day, I think the story goes they decided to try and build one from scratch, clean sheet direct drive as it were.

Not buy in a motor from japan like others have tried to do but design the drive system, get laminations made and coils wound etc, etc.

The idea was to approach a company that already had some experience building turntables but maybe 1 that is not a mass market producer and would be more likely to engage in this small run bespoke product.

The idea pitched was they both wanted a turntable each for themselves and the design and subsequent finished product could then be sold and marketed by the company who made the first 2. The 2 inventors were happy for that to happen.

Fast forward months/years of waiting, from the first prototype heard in my dem rooms (fitted with a 12" ortofon arm and Hana cartridge) and also a year or so later heard in the brook street shop I was in at the time, I knew there was so much potential in this I ordered one straight away without even knowing the cost.

The finished article was dropped off at Nick's den yesterday for him to fit the drive system electronics which has has designed. 2 have been built and hopefully will be ready to listen to in a few weeks time, I will invite a few people to my new shop for a listening session when the time comes.

Exciting times are ahead, my own one will have the Reed 3P I bought off Greg fitted with either a Hana Umami or a DS Audio DS003 installed.

Images to follow.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
gninnam
Old Hand

#2 Re: New direct drive turntable

Post by gninnam »

Sounds very interesting and exciting - looking forward to the pics and write up 8)
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: New direct drive turntable

Post by Nick »

He is (as always) also getting ahead of himself. There are two lumps of metal and coils here now that may in some time not determined eventually turn into a turntable.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#4 Re: New direct drive turntable

Post by ed »

is this the unit demo'd at Owston that had the induction motor?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
JohnG
Old Hand

#5 Re: New direct drive turntable

Post by JohnG »

Dave 'Stop gettin' ahead of yerself'
Good Announcement though and the concept is looking quite interesting.
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: New direct drive turntable

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:08 am is this the unit demo'd at Owston that had the induction motor?
Yes.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: New direct drive turntable

Post by IslandPink »

So this is a 'smart' one, and all the coils are wound the correct way ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: New direct drive turntable

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:57 pm So this is a 'smart' one, and all the coils are wound the correct way ?
I hope so, and if not its my fault as I sent them the winding spec. That's the first thing to check, applying a signal to the coils creates rotation. And yes, its been anodised :-)