uController for Amp

What people are working on at the moment
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#46 Re: uController for Amp

Post by izzy wizzy »

I like the ideas that get suggested on these threads even when they get a bit more extreme. Might not be needed this time but for another project who knows.

I suppose my loss of power thoughts were based on our last house which had an overly sensitive RCD and was a bit trippy. That combined with the use of MV rectifiers which need staged turn on had probably altered my thinking. Anyhoo, none of those things are relevant now.

The hour meter thinking is based on the GM70 life I've read about from folk (one in particular on diyaudio) that tends to life being in the 1200 hour area.

Taking on board the idea it doesn't have to be particularly accurate and also the notion I'm probably only ever going to lose a few hours to inaccuracy and the odd turning it off wrong, then reality means I could forget about the idea of trying for more.
Nick
Site Admin

#47 Re: uController for Amp

Post by Nick »

Yes, even if you measured the use time to seconds precision you would still have to pull a number out the air to decide when to replace it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#48 Re: uController for Amp

Post by izzy wizzy »

I'm not a valve roller mostly. Sure there's differences but there's more to be had in topology IMHO.

My aim with this was to try and avoid a costly failure and also to give me an idea as to when to try a spare set to see if the working set were past their best before date. My use is virtually the same as the user on DIYAudio, class A, probably not quite so hot bias point, So when 1000/1200 hours came up, try the backup set.

In the past, not having any clue as to how old things were, I've usually gone on too long with the output valves in my previous EAR509 amps.

Part of this is the fun of doing something different and I like programming. Once the thing is in place, then I'm curious as to what I can do with it. I'm appreciating being kept pointed in the right direction on this forum.

Having fun with interupts at the moment.