ADC

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Nick
Site Admin

#1 ADC

Post by Nick »

I have not been paying much attention to digital for a bit now, but I have a need to put together a ADC, FPGA and DAC on a board for an idea (its to provide a delay element for Marks speaker experiments). What is the current flavour of the month with ADC and DAC chips. A quick google, makes the PCM4202 look a candidate.

Any view?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Max N
Old Hand

#2 Re: ADC

Post by Max N »

Sorry Nick, I can't help with chip recommendations. But the board sounds very interesting. Could you use it for RIAA phono equalisation with zero phase shifts?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#3 Re: ADC

Post by Ali Tait »

Like the way the Mytek sounds Nick, chip is the Sabre 9018 K2M, not sure if it's available for diy though.
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: ADC

Post by Nick »

http://www.esstech.com/index.php/en/pro ... es9018k2m/

Though I guess the package is not DIY friendly, but TBH, the moment you enter modern FPGA land, you leave the possibility of soldering by hand. The FPGA I was looking at a 238 pins in a BGA.

Its the ADC that is the key though, there are loads of DAC options.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#5 Re: ADC

Post by Ali Tait »

Mytek also sell ADC's. I believe the 192 uses AKM 5394A. Lots of love for this ADC from what I've read.
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: ADC

Post by Nick »

Max N wrote: Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 am Sorry Nick, I can't help with chip recommendations. But the board sounds very interesting. Could you use it for RIAA phono equalisation with zero phase shifts?
I dont see why not. The next step is to wrap the ADC and DAC around a dev board like this.

https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards- ... 3zdsm.html

Though at the moment I am fighting with USB drivers and not got much further than creating a micro blaze processor on it and sending Hello World out the USB port.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: ADC

Post by Mike H »

Watching.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."