Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#16 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well, I'm using CUEripper to rip a CD to my laptop. It looks reassuring that there's lots of info about what's happening. We'll see when tis done...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#17 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

So far so good.... I see I can rip to one flac file a CD - good for classical performances??? then ???

And I've ripped an almost unreadable, certainly unplayable Bert Jansch CD, it looks successful.

No picture though looking on Anazob yielded the right album cover.

And now I port it over via wifi to the vortexbox. That will take a while, surely?

Onwards!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#18 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by vinylnvalves »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:07 pm You plugs your hard drive into a front usb socket. The process is controlled by vortexbox software on a p.c. networked over wifi. This works, I'm happy to say.

It's getting proper data onto the vortexbox in the first place that's the prob. The CD rips internally in the Vortexbox. It just doesn't grab the picture file ( from the ether?) and now doesn't grab album and track descriptor info..

Might have to find Vortexbox website but I'm worried about people who want to be helpful but use unexplained acronyms and assume I know about these things.

Too many things to do
My seagate external drive has a funny connector, it’s like a usb with a bit in the middle. Looking into it further a new 1TB SSD seems quite cheap, so might just get a new backup drive, if I cannot find the lead. Been looking into things further, I am using Dalphile which has the option to just look at a local drive instead of the vortexbox. As nobody else uses the music server anymore except me, I might just turn it off and connect a SSD drive straight into the plug computer which drives Dalphile. In theory should be better too, as not transferring data over the network, just via usb.
andrew Ivimey

#19 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Slow but (possibly) surely the folder is moving from laptop to vortexbox through the wifi. Is this the future!?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

Next bit is to see if you can see Vortexbox, and the music folder within, and rip directly to it.
You should be able to point your ripping tool directly at the destination folder in Vortexbox.
Chris :happy3:
andrew Ivimey

#21 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okeedokeee, I'll give it a go. Thanks Chris.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Dave the bass »

After each VB rip LMS was triggered to rescan the media library for changes so the new music was 'seen' and added to the library.

I'm running a very old version of VB (2.3) but other than it not collecting metadata anymore it's still useable IMO.

I still rip using VB but use mp3tag to get the metadata and cover art.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey

#23 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ummmm well I'll have a look for this too, ta.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#24 Re: Vortexbox Blues

How did you get on with ripping direct to Vortexbox, Mr. I?
andrew Ivimey

#25 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Nothing to rip Chris.... Not much of an excuse I know. I've been ( still am) unhappily busy of late. This lockdown is just starting to drive me bonkers, I'm afraid.

Since last we spoke I've only listened to some of Shostakovitch 13 and track 6 of Billy Cobham's Spectrum. Je suis desolated.
andrew Ivimey

#26 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

My Vortexbox is conking out! The fan started to make great noise and then barely turned. I bought and fitted a new fan which was fine for a few days and now runs noisily.

Who would care to guess... But this got me thinking about about a substitute. The Sqyeezebox could conk out too! Bah, unthinkable. In the meantime I have discovered 'Air Play' from Mac - amazing high quality which the Devialet system adores.

I've ordered a Raspberry pi - steep learning curve as I know nothing! Good for the little grey cells.

I'd love some suggestions but I am old fashioned and very behind the times.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:25 am
but I am old fashioned and very behind the times.
Perhaps we should start a club ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
andrew Ivimey

#28 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I would not join a club who would have me as a member! Ahemmmm
ed
retired

#29 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

put picoreplayer on your virgin pi. Point it at your record stash and Bob's your uncle. You can control it from any networked device .or. put a 7" pi screen on the pi and control it by touch....Oh..yeah, you will need a pi dac or a usb dac to get the musics out

no need to join a club...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Vortexbox Blues

I had the SD card in my Pi die recently.
SD cards have a finite working life.
There was a fair bit of teeth gnashing and head scratching involved in fixing things, but it's now sorted and working faultlessly again.

Using a RasPi as server is my recommendation too, just make sure you back the thing up occasionally.