MM Cartridge Help

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Neal
Shed dweller

#1 MM Cartridge Help

Post by Neal »

Odd request as I would normally be more decisive! Must be my age :shock:

Daughter has gone all retro recently and has been pestering me for a Turntable. I've finally caved in and sorted her an old Toshiba amp and 'speakers. TT will be my PL-71 but I need a cartridge. Digging through my spares box Ive found a little used Stanton 500 and a couple of shure cartridges, one is a V15HR P-mount and the other has no identification. The V15 probably needs a new stylus as does the unidentified one as its bent!

What is the consensus on these as I have no idea of what they sound like or if any good....should I get an M75ED off eBay or just stick with the Stanton and be done....

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: MM Cartridge Help

Post by pre65 »

How about an AT-95e, always used to be quoted as a good performer and great value for money.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: MM Cartridge Help

Post by IslandPink »

I can't offer any advice on sound, really, but I do have a Goldring 1006 ( elliptical ) in a drawer, barely used.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#4 Re: MM Cartridge Help

Post by Ant »

Either buy something cheap that you can easily get a stylus for such as phils suggestion of an at95, or use the stanton. you cant get genuine shure stylii any more other than nos for silly money or used. On the whole, third party stylii for shures seem to require higher tracking forces so probably arent the same as the originals in terms of compliance . The stanton is easy enough to get a stylus for.
No need to go for anything particularly nice, so long as it tracks it wont eat records. The stantons ive used seemed to track nicely, the 890sa was actually really nice
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Neal
Shed dweller

#5 Re: MM Cartridge Help

Post by Neal »

Thanks Guys, I’ve used the Stanton, will see how it goes....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.