Alpair12P MLTL speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

chris661 wrote:
Back on-topic, Andrew, how were the speakers received at yours?

Chris
A success, I'm pleased, I'm hearing all the good stuff I first heard at Colin's on the stand mounts plus plenty enough bass for most of my listening tastes. Sure, they don't do Metallica like Colin's multi-way speakers but what is present is surprisingly clear, detailed and fast. I'm hearing musicians walking up and down the bass registers where I couldn't before; there's no one note bass at all.....

This makes me think a quality sub might be a good compromise for those moments when you want to really rock; its something I shall have to try sometime as I won't know until I give it a go.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

chris661 wrote:Given the nature of the film, it somewhat completed the experience.
Hang on. You're saying you sat through a Resident Evil film? Nuse!
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Hi Andrew (& Colin/Scott),

Now that you have been able to live with these for a few months whats the verdict?

They look an elegantly simple design, and the A12's have been getting good press from the likes of yourself & James D so I'm thinking of investing in a pair of A12's, and a good MLTL is usually a safe bet for full range drivers.

Anything you would want to do differently next time around?

Cheers
Simon C
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Simon,
I reckon the A12P together with the new A10P(A) are the best drivers to date that Mark Fenlon has designed and produced. They certainly beat anything that Fostex can offer of the same sized drivers.

Both Scott and I agree that these drivers are perhaps some of the best available Extended Range drivers in the world today. Certainly at the price they retail for I reckon they cannot be beaten. You note I say Extended Range drivers as no driver is really Full Range. But having said that the A10P(A) does not need a support supertweeter and have plenty of punch in the bass (in the right designed cabinets) that most folk would be happy with.

Perhaps the A12P benefits a little with a supertweeter used above 12K just to fill out the very top end. This driver also has a slightly smoother presentation but it's a close call between the two. Some would prefer the A10P others the A12P.

However my personal preference by a tadge is the A12P and that's in a simple BR standmount speaker.

Pity you didn't express an interest in buying a pair the A12P as I am awaiting a delivery from Mark this week and there are 2-pair of A12P set aside for Simon and Ali. I could have easily added another pair to my order.
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Thanks for the update Colin,

I'm looking forward to hearing a pair of A12's at the weekend. It would be nice to do a back to back with A10's, but for what I'm thinking of using them for I probably wouldn't worry about a super tweeter (although I may build the connections and attenuator into the cabinets just in case).

Don't worry about the order, I'm in no rush and will either source my own from the US while I'm over there, or tag onto your next order.

If you are at Owsten on Saturday night I'll buy you a beer and pick your brains then...

Cheers
Simon C
Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

A quick question for Toppsy:

Have any of the speakers you've made since the Eddingdales surpassed them?

Thanks.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Freddo,
Yes I believe the new Jenna's speaker featured heavily in Simon's photo report on the this weekends Owston gathering are in a lot of ways better. A few of the guys at the meet were telling me this anyway. So they must be doing something right. Scott designed these and perhaps one of his best designs to date. They feature an external XO and can bt bi-amped or bi-wired.

Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

Thanks Toppsy.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

We had the great weekend last summer with both the AP12P MLTL and the Jenna's, I may could be accused of being biased but I will say two things........in my defense

1) At Owston this weekend, when someone had an amp to try out that they wanted folk to hear the best of, there was only one speaker that they reached out for - it was the Jenna's :!:

2) Don't believe a single driver can't do rock. Radiohead's Amnesiac on the AP12P MLTL and a decent 300B is seriously scary!
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okay I'm intrigued. Why is there an apostrophe in the name? Who was Jenna?!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

An old flame?
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

I should be so lucky. ;)

They're (unofficially at present) named for my favourite fiddle player.
Freddo
User

Post by Freddo »

Anne-Sophie Mutter will be jealous...
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Having taken the plunge and acquired a set of A12P's over Christmas, they have been gently playing for about 3 weeks now. A visit to home bargains, a bit of left-over waste pipe and some sticky tape has produced a pair of 40L vented enclosures for running-in duty. (I know its a bit on the large side for these drivers, but its what they had on the shelf, and for £10 all in, including a microfibre pillow for the wadding, I'm not going to quibble).

Anyway, the longer term plan for this pair is a classic mltl. I'm basing it on Bob Brine's work, 4xSo cross section, driver around 0.2 to 0.25*H from the top etc. A quick pass through MJK's worksheets gave something around 100cm high, 25cm wide, 25cm deep and the driver about 20cm from the top.

The MJK sims definitely preferred the driver to be high in the cabinet, and I might even try and push it up to 18cm. Anything longer than 20cm seemed to need much more damping to keep it under control and I'm a fan of minimal damping... next step is to make some sawdust, and I've now got access to a cnc router locally so this should make life much simpler, given my lack of wood working skills :-)

Onwards
Attachments
Plastic storage box, waste pipe and some sticky tape...
Plastic storage box, waste pipe and some sticky tape...
The view on the back of the lid before it was spun round and fitted to the box.
The view on the back of the lid before it was spun round and fitted to the box.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

SimonC wrote: and I've now got access to a cnc router locally so this should make life much simpler, given my lack of wood working skills :-)

Onwards
Lucky bugger. :)

Looking forward to see how this progresses Simon.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)