Alpair12P MLTL speakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#1 Alpair12P MLTL speakers

Post by Toppsy »

These speakers are for a Andrew and his wife Fiona up in Scotland. Andrew was so impressed with the performance of the small bookshelf A12P speakers he ordered a pair the drivers and asked if I could do him a floorstander with a bit more bass extension than the bookshelves. So a call to Scottmoose and he came up with this design. It has a different alignment than the Pencil series and requires minimum damping as per typical for MLTL's.

To date I have built both speaker carcasses ready for veneering with some European Oak that is due for delivery early next week. You will note that the front and rear baffles are doubled up in thickness so to incorporate a 18mm x 18mm rebate for full length solid European Oak edgings all round. The top and bottom of the speakers will also be 25mm thick soild European Oak hence the window braces to hold it all together as these will be glued on last and sanded flush with the veneer.

Anyway to some photos:

Photo 1 below shows the basic carcass with the internal damping:

Photo 2 shows the front and rear views of the assembled cabinets. The 2" dia hole in the rear panel is for an adjustable L-Pad as Andrew wants to have the facility to use a Supertweeter (Fostex T90A) with the speakers.

Photo 3 below is of the driver cut-out in the front baffle and clearly seen in the rear baffle the cutouts for the L-pad.

And lastly a photo taken from above lookinking down into the speaker showing the chamfer around the driver cut out.

I'll post more photos when I get the veneer and have glued on the soild Oak components.

If the performance of the Scottmoose designed bookshelves is anything to go by I have high hopes for these. Fingers crossed Andrew and Fiona will love them.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Looking good Colin :!: Really been enjoying the standmounts so very much looking forward to these :)
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Between my other speaker builds and the near constant rain here in the UK over the Christmas and New Year break I have managed to progress this build. The European Oak veneer arrived just before Christmas so I have manged to veneer all panels of the speakers, machine up and joint the 25mm thick solid Oak top and bottom panels and all 8 of the 19mm sq. full depth side strips. Later tonight I shall glue on the side strips and leave these overnight for the glue to set before gluing on the top and bottom panels. These will all need trimming flush to the veneered ply and profiled with my router. I hope to have them ready for applying the oil coat by the weekend so I can then start the slow process of running-in the drivers ready for collection by Andrew.

The keen eyed of you will note 3 light coloured marks around the port tube. These are not apparent to the nakid eye and are where I used a
Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser to rub out the marking out lines. These will disapper when I finally sand the cabinets ready for the application of the finishing oil. (I hope!)

More photos to follow.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Whats the word I'm looking for..........????

Nope can't remember.

DTB

PS. Shoddy!!!

PPS.Thats it! Ha! Gotcha back :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Achually, they are well shoddy :!:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

Andrew wrote:Achually, they are well shoddy :!:
Just checked. You're quite right MrL!

Well-shoddy!

DTB
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Sorry I forgot the hypen - achualllly they are drop dead gorgeous :!:

That oak is a winner.....one day all speakers will be made this way :!:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

These speakers are for a Andrew and his wife Fiona up in Scotland.
Does he have one or more additional Scottish wife of differing names :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Quote:
These speakers are for a Andrew and his wife Fiona up in Scotland.

Does he have one or more additional Scottish wife of differing names
English grammer was never one of my strong points. :oops:
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Me neither :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It reads more strongly that although we know where Fiona is it then begs the question where Andrew is; he may not be on Scotland. Just adding a couple of commas wouldn't help very much in making this very interesting sentence less ambiguous.

speakers... what speakers? Oh yes, I see - very nice!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Alpair12P MLTL speakers

Post by Dave the bass »

Toppsy wrote:These speakers are for a Andrew and his wife Fiona up in Scotland.
Ah! It might not be our-MrL afterall. The opening line is ambiguous WRT which 'Andrew' has a Wife called Fiona. Its a case of a non-specific Andrew.

Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

I would'nt worry abowt it. I only no enuf english to scrape buy on.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

OK much progress this weekend whilst it been dry and relative warm for the time of year, so I was able to work outdoors and do the final routing on the patio in the back garden.

I have got both cabinets finished and the first coat of finishing oil applied. I think Andrew and Fiona are gonna like these.

Here's some photos of the finished cabinets whilst drying after the first coat of oil.

I should be able to get the drivers installed and all wired up for tomorrow night. Then the long process of running-in the new drivers.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

What can I say? Truly stunning.....top job Colin :!: Thumbs up from Fiona too!