vofo anybody?

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
ed
retired

#1 vofo anybody?

Post by ed »

I've shamelessly lifted this from a post on diyaudio because I think this guy could do the Christmas lectures.

if you're remotely interested in what happens when you do things to speakers then you might like this....please stick with it cos IMO it's worth it:

There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#2 Re: vofo anybody?

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Ed, that was well worth spending a bit of time watching. I'm going to have to watch some of their other videos too.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: vofo anybody?

Post by IslandPink »

Yes that was worth watching - thanks Ed. The stuff on the constrained layer damping was very well explained, interesting that you can buy accelerometers for less than £20 - food for thought. I thought his layman's term explanation and demo of the horn and impedance matching was very good.
In the early stages , when he was describing the negative waveform coming off the rear of the speaker unit, he missed an opportunity to explain why you need a tube or an enclosure at all, he could have explained that at low frequencies the wave is omni-directional, and cancels the front output, unless you block it, or take it away some distance, but it was a valiant effort at getting a lot of stuff into 50 mins.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: vofo anybody?

Post by Nick »

For me the best part was instead of just describing stuff, he actually did it and measured it. Good stuff.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: vofo anybody?

Post by IslandPink »

Building an anechoic chamber is certainly 'going the extra mile' !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: vofo anybody?

Post by Dave the bass »

Nice find Ed, brilliant for an hours informative watching on a Sunday afternoon(-aah), ta for sharing.

I actually understood some of it too, no really. That CLD approach has got me thinking about the 'boingy' mouths on the Sabs. Scott explained years ago why some my attempts at internal bracing would only push the panel frequencies up, I think now that I'm almost a grown up I'm beginning to understand why.

More learning sessions are needed.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"