Speakers for my Hywel

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Speakers for my Hywel

Post by IslandPink »

I have been doing something audio :) - just haven't documented it.
Along the lines of James's thread from a few years ago 'Speakers for my son' , I have been working on a combo consisting of Fostex FX120 in a sealed 25 litre enclosure ( Colin supplied some nice standmount cabinets, thanks ! ) with a Fountek NeoCD 1.0 ribbon to sweeten-up the treble.
I have just about finished tuning a crossover, which I evaluated on OB. I will post some pics and a few graphs in due course.
There were some perplexing results, but I think we've got a really nice result now - time will tell once Hywel gets some adapting hardware made and listens in stereo.

( Ps, this is 'New Hywel' , not Hywel who made the Ariels )
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Speakers for my Hywel

Post by IslandPink »

These are the cabinets Colin sold to us.
As you can see they are
1. Very nice, & shaped to discourage internal modes
2. Ported
Hywel_Cab1.JPG
Hywel_cab2.JPG
I had already done practical tests for Hywel with a 30L box I had hanging around in the house - it delivered some very nice tone and punchy bass , despite being a good few dB down in the low bass ; just as James predicted. 25L should do almost the same thing.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Speakers for my Hywel

Post by IslandPink »

Ok, so the port tube was taken out in the above shot.
To get a sealed box, I deliberated a while about how to plug the port tube, then Hywel suggested it would be just as easy to make a blanking plug of the same dimensions, given we were going to do some 3D-printing for adapting the FX120 to the S&B unit's mounting hole ( more on that soon ) .
So, this one of the Mk.2 - the Mk.3 blanking plug will have the chamfer on the correct side of the flange :roll:
Hywel_cab3.JPG
ps. in retrospect , having 'my Hywel' in the thread title perhaps gives the wrong impression !