Swapping parts between 401s of different vintages?

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
adhoc
User

#1 Swapping parts between 401s of different vintages?

Post by adhoc »

Hello all,

I'm new here and like to say that I'm excited to be here! It's not often that you find a forum with a section devoted purely to Garrard TTs!! :D

Anyway my question is pretty simple - I'm interested in finding out whether the mechanical bits - linkages, bearings, spindles, etc "swap" out between the various iterations of the 401. I was considering purchasing another Garrard 401 as a source of spare parts. My current 401 has the serial number #4300.

Would it be OK to purchase another 401 with the serial, say, ~#13,000? Would the parts swap out successfully? I understand, for example, that there are quite a few variations in the neon strobe light, but as mentioned earlier, I am more concerned about the "mechanical" bits.

I would be interested to hear anyone's experiences with respect to this. I'm sure someone must have tried swapping parts between a couple of 401s that had carked it to make up a single good specimen..?

Anyone? :)
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hi Aaron,

Personally I would ask why you think you need a source of spares?

Garrard 401s are not know for having mechanical failures at all that I'm aware of?

I would advise that 401s did indeed change quite a bit in their time and swapping parts is certainly a challenge unless the two units are identical. I can't give any advise as to where or when each change took place or what sections of serial numbers to bracket between. I'm not sure if anyone could help you on this.
Garrard were not know for keeping records of changes.

If we were talking 301s then that would be a different matter. Apart from the obvious grease/oil bearing change they stayed pretty much the same design throughout their production.

Best wishes
Darren
adhoc
User

Post by adhoc »

Hello Darren,

Thank you for your reply - I was actually most concerned about the motor in particular.

I run my TTs hard - about 3 hours continuously daily and more on the weekends - and I think my concerns are understandable considering that these are 40 year old pieces of equipment! :)

Cheers,
Aaron
~ Aaron
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

I wouldn't worry about it Aaron,

We continually run one 301 testing bearings and I often forget to turn mine off !!!

No problems so far. But to ease your mind the motors are interchangeable even across the models I believe.
adhoc
User

Post by adhoc »

Thanks again Darren for that reply. :)

I'm not sure if the 301 motor would fit in the 401 though - the "corrugated" 301 eddy current brake would need a bit more vertical clearance perhaps? (the 401's eddy brake is flat) My memory of the exact spacing between the motor and TT body on the 301 is a little hazy. :oops:

Also, the motor power consumption is 16W vs 12W, I not sure whether that might cause a whit of difference though. :)
~ Aaron
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Hi Aaron,

I have seen a 401 motor on a 301 but not the other way around. I really can't see any problems though. The eddy brake could be swapped but I don't think this would be required.

I have a 301 grease bearing with a short motor shaft requiring the drive pulley to be fitted upside down. I have no idea where this motor has come from? It wasn't fitted originally as the "fitter" was not very good at fitting 8)