Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13291 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

OK I saw it - near the level crossing at Pilley's Lane. Quite a crowd of people turned out. Wanted to take a video, unfortunately the 'phone didn't record. :(

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#13292 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Bloody petrol queues! Grrrrrrr, daughter missed her train to work and an important meeting due to selfish gits blocking the road for petrol. The whole panic buying mentality is making my blood boil….and breath…. Social media and the media have a lot to answer for.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Nick
Site Admin

#13293 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Neal wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am Bloody petrol queues! Grrrrrrr, daughter missed her train to work and an important meeting due to selfish gits blocking the road for petrol. The whole panic buying mentality is making my blood boil….and breath…. Social media and the media have a lot to answer for.
Yep, it does show that any expected behavior based on "common sense" is going to be doomed to fail.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13294 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I'd like to visit my Mum this week, and I have enough fuel for the return journey.

BUT, I need to take Jean to a bowls tournament at Newark on Trent next week, and the hotel is on the outskirts of Lincoln.

If I forgo Mums visit, I don't really have enough fuel for a return Newark/Lincoln trip and the running around incurred, so it could be a bit stressful.

I'll just have to be optimistic. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#13295 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

I got filled up ok yesterday at askern, the village with the lake just north of Owston. We'd been at centre Parcs all weekend at Sherwood.
And hopefully filling my bike today locally, for tommorows run..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13296 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

I don't understand why the army is on 'standby'. Is there not enough of a crisis ?
My sister and I are wondering how to ration our travel while my mum is in hospital in Warrington. I think each of us could currently do one return trip, but we're not sure when the problems will ease.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13297 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

We are 50,000 drivers down and the govt. says there is no crisis.

750 army drivers are to be drafted in. How's that going to help?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#13298 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

Nick wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:07 am
Neal wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:02 am Bloody petrol queues! Grrrrrrr, daughter missed her train to work and an important meeting due to selfish gits blocking the road for petrol. The whole panic buying mentality is making my blood boil….and breath…. Social media and the media have a lot to answer for.
Yep, it does show that any expected behavior based on "common sense" is going to be doomed to fail.
And of course, if the government isn’t trusted, when they say there is no problem, don’t panic, they are not believed and the people panic!
Nick
Site Admin

#13299 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Greg wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:34 pm And of course, if the government isn’t trusted, when they say there is no problem, don’t panic, they are not believed and the people panic!
And based on past performance there is no reason they should be trusted,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13300 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

My local bowls club asked us to help lay some turf this Thursday, now we get this message.

"The planned delivery of the turf this Thursday has been cancelled by the supplier.
Apparently their courier is unable to get diesel, so can not do any deliveries."
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#13301 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Boris says the situation is getting better, is it bollox. Drove back through our town around 7pm and noted both the Shell and BP garage had fuel but the queues where longish and I needed to get back, thought I’d try after I’d eaten so went back out and….both where sold out FFS. Luckily the wife’s car has half a tank so will have to eek that out until things really do improve!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Greg
Social outcast

#13302 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Greg »

For our steam railway enthusiasts, on tonight https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rb16k

16 other steam programmes available on iPlayer. https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p01277qd
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13303 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Was supposed to go to Essex on Sunday, returning Monday, don't think I will now. Someone was telling me this morning 'our' Polish and Romanian HGV drivers have naffed off back home leaving a 54,000 backlog for issuing HGV licences at DVLA. :(

Yesterday I refuelled the Ural at a place called Napton-on-The-Hill, they had a max. £20 worth for each vehicle. Fortunately the Ural only needed £15 worth. :shock: A video that may include this event should follow shortly .......

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13304 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Mike, why shouldn't the Polish and Lithuanian drivers have 'naffed orff' back to Europe when Britain has told them, and the rest of the world, that we are better off without them
I.e. foreigners.

We are now beginning to see what 'better off' means.

We can now sell Kipling cakes to Australia and Mutton to USA.

Wow! Great deals eh!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13305 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:53 pm... and Mutton to USA.

Wow! Great deals eh!
Lamb. Not mutton.

The only mutton I've found in the UK is from New Zealand.

We've tried to hunt down British mutton but it's not available anywhere we've tried - no demand for it our farming friends say, except around Eid.

Mutton is an essential ingredient of tagine, one of our favourites...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt