The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#46 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

here's a pic that is not worth 1000 words. Ally frame and carbon forks - still a rough ride!

But no.... I remember; here's a story.

Bought on eBay I drove near to Derby to collect. It was a beautiful day and a lovely drive to what looked like a mostly victorian brick 'industrial' town with intact rail service. Getting there though required me to drive through 'Creswell Heights' - yes really! There's a scarp slope of limestone so... loads of caves and things and now its all preserved and pretty parkland - lovely. Bit like our Steve really.

Apparently, and my history is crap and my memory shot, there was once a very nasty mill/mine/factory owner in those eponymous parts, thoroughly evil when it came to workers' rights and conditions, sort of the total opposite of say Titus Salt near Bradford. But he was stinking rich and as was the way of things when the sun shone and the man's total lack of philanthropy was beginning to blur into wherever these things go, the Heights got their name.
Does this mean that Steve and Ant are really ultra rich nasty mill/factory/mine owners too? Or could they inherit?!?

When I saw the bike I said something like 'if you think I'm gonna give good money for that heap you've got another think coming!' And he said something like 'Oh erm - how much then?' And I said something like, '£120 and that's my last word.' And he said summat like, 'oh okay'. So I got a bargain that was filthy and I stripped cleaned and lubed things, new chain, cassette, shifters(brakes levers too) and handlebars but then it was a good'un ready to go only as I've said before - it and my 'constitution' are not a happy pair so one of them have to go.
Canondale.JPG
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#47 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote:
Mike H wrote:Holy crap.

Unrelated question, how do you guys do the elevation graphs?
Ta Mike, I'm fine, 'cept for a growing bruise on my shapely hip!

In my case Elevation graph's come from the bundled Garmin software that comes with my bike computer which in turn links it to ride-with-gps, a website to upload ride data onto which sorts out elevation and mapping. Lincolnshire doesn't have any hills does it?! :D
Sorry to hear of your tumble Dave but I have to conclude that you missed an opportunity for a skid and with your heritage I'm surprised you didn't stump-jump!

With the years advancing remember that none of use are immune from bone mass loss - I should know, I have three very expensive titanium screws in my right hip; fractured it in an innocuous fall when I was only 52. It mostly works fine now but it affects your head as well, I'm much more cautious than I used to be. Max speed on that (genuinely) steep descent was only around 25mph, when I was a boy I would have been at least 40mph.

Did you get the BMW details, I think they should at least pay for a replacement bell.

BTW, is that carbon fibre that you are using as a bell mount?

Mike, my elevation profiles are generated just the same way as Mr Bass's, the bike computer records XYZ coordinates/times from GPS every few seconds, which get uploaded and referenced to a mapping system that is viewable on a web page.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#48 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Yeah, Carbon fibre handlebars on the black SS bike, uber-tech....bwahahahahaha. Must be good cos they cost about £11 on eBay from China! I had a spare bell in the spare parts box. No solicitors or traffic Police were involved for the possible £1.49 replacement bell demise... oooppss, I meant Bell-End... Ha I did it!

Our-MrI, 'if you think I'm gonna give good money for that heap you've got another thing coming!' unless the sock is included, you can keep the radiator, but the sock, that could be the deal clincher.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ray P

#49 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote:Our-MrI, 'if you think I'm gonna give good money for that heap you've got another thing coming!' unless the sock is included, you can keep the radiator, but the sock, that could be the deal clincher.
Mr I, I'll buy you a pair of replacement socks if you can get Mr Bass on a bike with lots of gears!

Ray
andrew Ivimey

#50 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

If they were my socks he could have them!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#51 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

You stole the fellas socks too?!

I've got a bike with gears on, its not as much fun as my bikes with no gears on (IMO).
Greg
Social outcast

#52 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Ray P wrote:Quite chuffed today; extended the distance a little (13.9miles today) but set myself a much more challenging profile, some of it was surprisingly steep!

Ray
I cycled up Buncombe Hill a few times in my youth and it's more than steep!

Respect!
SimonC
Old Hand

#53 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by SimonC »

Sorry to hear you got doored Dave, the chances of taking avoiding action are about zero when that happens...at least it was only a few bruises and a broken bell to show for it.

I recently came across this great explanation of why 'didn't see you mate' happens - written by an RAF fighter pilot with a vested interested in not crashing into things...well worth a read :)

http://www.slobc.org/safety/documents/r ... -guide.pdf

Mr C
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#54 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

Sorry to hear about your "accident" Dave,

(Chuck Berry mode)
And then I got meself a fixed wheel bike
But got stopped suddenly by a car door
Now I can't even ring my bell
I'll have to play with my ding a ling.

:lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ray P

#55 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

STOP PRESS! I did a skid tonight on the way home; had to brake and veer to avoid a hound on the cyclepath and did a good slide as soon as I hit the grass area. Phwoaarr, to use the venacular.

As for wheelies, I obviously need to get a box of very heavy pizzas!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37408170
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#56 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

This is all very laudable stuff - and I'm glad to see that Dave lives to fight another day. I must take a camera out one day & take a shot of the new bike in the local environment.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#57 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

A hearty round of Whaheys all round.

Top work Team! :lol:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#58 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

....Team :D
Can you imagine what we'd look like if we turned-up on the start line of the Tour of Britain, dressed in 'Audio Talk Cycling Team' skinsuits ? :shock:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
shane
Social outcast

#59 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

I'm trying very hard not to.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey

#60 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

best not eh!