General Raspberry Pi stuff

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#31 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm Interesting!

At the moment, I'm busy playing with ESP32s and the ESP-IDF development environment with Eclipse as the IDE...

For $5, it's an amazing device...
deffo a bit geeky and a tad OT but you just jogged me into taking stock of where I left off with the intro of weather stations at locations with mains electricity. In the box this morning I found an ESP-wroom-32 which I was going to port my avr code onto....

I also found an stm32f(ARM M4) series board which I was going to use for the planned audio streamer....

the problem I have is that I buy these things with half a plan and then get side tracked...coming back 2 or 3 years later and finding these things in the box I can only scratch my head wondering what the hell they are and why I bought them....

but you're right, they are stupidly cheap now for what you get....I think it's the geeky kids messing with IOT..there must be legions of them to bring the prices down like this.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
SimonC
Old Hand

#32 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by SimonC »

Neal wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 am I’m it the process of installing a CCTV monitor for a local sports club using a RPi 4, taps into the cameras rstp feeds and displays them on a rotating 2x4 or single 1x4 screen. The app is displaycameras and intended for UniFi cameras but it works with others as well.
https://github.com/Anonymousdog/
Yes that’s my junk room/office/workshop!
I'm needing to set up exactly the same thing for a village hall over my way. I've already got a couple of spare PI's and a monitor kicking around.
Any advice on camera's that I should be aware of?
Also, do you know of any apps that would deal with recording the stream from each camera CCTV style?

Cheers
Simon C
SimonC
Old Hand

#33 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by SimonC »

SimonC wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:56 am
Neal wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:50 am I’m it the process of installing a CCTV monitor for a local sports club using a RPi 4, taps into the cameras rstp feeds and displays them on a rotating 2x4 or single 1x4 screen. The app is displaycameras and intended for UniFi cameras but it works with others as well.
https://github.com/Anonymousdog/
Yes that’s my junk room/office/workshop!
I'm needing to set up exactly the same thing for a village hall over my way. I've already got a couple of spare PI's and a monitor kicking around.
Any advice on camera's that I should be aware of?
Also, do you know of any apps that would deal with recording the stream from each camera CCTV style?
Cheers
Simon C
Thanks to the power of google I think I've answered my own question: MotioneyeOS (https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/wiki/Features) looks to take care of pretty much everything from the streaming and recording point of view.
Neal
Shed dweller

#34 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

There’s also Zoneminder as well, I have this installed at the same club....it is a bit resource heavy though. I’ll check out motioneyeOS

Looks to have a nice interface, the only thing with using an RPi is it can run out of processing power and be I/O limited for a cctv system, especially with HD streams...the 4B maybe better though, I’ve not tried it.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#35 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Just installed the latest Raspian & Pi-hole on an old 3B I found in a box this morning.

Set Cloudflare (1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1) to be the final DNS resolver as they never log your data (so they claim). Also, they claim to be faster than anyone else... So I used "dig" and other tools on 'phones etc. and, indeed, they are between 25 and 50% faster - typically I'm seeing averages of 35mS on Cloudflare and up to 130mS on Google for the same queries (flushing the DNS cache between queries). Shouldn't be surprised really, as Cloudflare have a simply humungous delivery network (it's their business model after all) and PoPs (no, not that Pop) all over the planet.

Some minor oddities - Most things work fine & transparent. However, trying to get 4OD and one or two others to have no adverts and still work is proving problematic...

Really very easy and seems to be doing a pretty good job. Impressed, we are.
Untitled.png
IMG_20200401_134404.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Neal
Shed dweller

#36 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Nice one Nick, I’ve been using this for a while now, it also provides dhcp. I’ve disabled dhcp on the main router and just use pihole.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#37 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

I'm using the Ubiquiti USG to provide DHCP and have disabled it on the Pi-hole as the USG does a bunch of clever stuff, including hunting down and stopping any rogue DHCP servers the Unifi system doesn't know about... The Pi-hole is on a static IP.

My other rationale is that the Pi is more likely to die than the USG, so a quick change to the USG DNS forwarding settings (from 192.168.1.x to 1.1.1.1) and every device will automatically work again...
Neal
Shed dweller

#38 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

I have an unused DSG here bought for a customer who didn’t want it in the end. I take it the chain is ADSL modem >> USG >> WiFi AP / switch?

I may give it a go when I get really bored.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#39 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Neal wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:21 pm I have an unused DSG here bought for a customer who didn’t want it in the end. I take it the chain is ADSL modem >> USG >> WiFi AP / switch?

I may give it a go when I get really bored.
Yep - Draytek modem (fibre-ready)->USG->US-8-150W (8 port POE+ & 2 x 1GB SFPs) and a netgear managed 16 port switch for general non-POE stuff. The USG is nice and easy - we have a UniFi controller running on the only PC that doesn't sleep, so that does all the management, but I was considering getting a Cloud Key at some point...

There's also a managed UPS, Pi-hole, Media Center & Netgear SAN (mirrors backups from the workshop Synology SAN) in that cabinet. There's a wireless link between the buildings too (NanoStationM5s). All house POE from the US-8 switch - other buildings use POE injectors as the cost of a UniFi POE switch is a bit cheeky... Assorted other kit, but I'm slowly migrating it all to UniFi. The Greenhouse now has a WAP (NanostationM5 +airGateway) as I'm doing some ESP32 projects to control watering etc.

I partly used kit I had anyway (bought it back from my setup in Dubai). I have to say the upgrade was long overdue - we have fibre coming into the house in a few weeks (maybe? Yeah. Whatever!) and the Devolo stuff was really unreliable, especially after a brown/blackout when they never seemed to all come back online properly.

I really like the Pi-hole - it's identified a bunch of WiFi speakers that were calling home every 30 seconds, plus stopping about 10% of all DNS requests.

Interestingly, there a guy on the Ubiquity forums who has done a similar project to Pi-hole as a package for EdgeOS (used in USGs and EdgeRouters). Not going to go there now, but it's an option. However, I suspect that after every o/s upgrade/reprovision it could get lost?
https://community.ui.com/questions/DNS- ... 8b02575da4
https://github.com/britannic/blacklist
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#40 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Found a Pi 2B, really old school and slow...

...however found a decent 8GB uSD card, loaded Max2Play on it and an IQaudIO DAC+ and it is happy as Larry working as another node on the Vortexbox system...

In the sitting room connected to the media amp. Works a treat.
Neal
Shed dweller

#41 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Seems UniFi controller can co-exist with PiHole on the same RPi....I feel a project coming on.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#42 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Neal wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:52 am Seems UniFi controller can co-exist with PiHole on the same RPi....I feel a project coming on.
Yep - I saw that - the controller is in Java with, I think, mungo dB. It runs on a Pi for sure, but my concern was the ability of the uSD card to handle the logging without failing.

The controller doesn't do a huge amount so running both on a decent Pi (3B+/4B) could well work well assuming a quality uSD card.
Neal
Shed dweller

#43 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by Neal »

Good point, I have an old Hp 5720 thin client kicking around that I added a HDD to and installed Debian.....may be a better solution although it means having another device on 24/7
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#44 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

Neal wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:12 am Good point, I have an old Hp 5720 thin client kicking around that I added a HDD to and installed Debian.....may be a better solution although it means having another device on 24/7
Still cheaper than a UniFi Cloud Key Gen 2 which is about 170 quid... A Pi 4 with the POE hat could be a neat way of doing this...

128GB uSD card. or how about this: https://www.conrad.com/p/m2-sata-ssd-ex ... pi-1487097 plus https://uk.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct250mx500ssd4

https://lazyadmin.nl/home-network/insta ... -in-5-min/

I like the idea of an M.2 SSD on a Pi - this is now a really good machine...

I am beginning to like your thinking...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#45 Re: General Raspberry Pi stuff

Post by jack »

So, installed the latest UniFi controller on a spare 3B+ running Raspbian/Debian 4.19.97/ 30/01/20 using the instructions in the previous post.

Seamless install - very easy. Yet to determine if Pi-hole can co-exist as the standard Java version is replaced with OpenJDK.

UniFi takes about 20% of the memory and just a few % of the CPU