ebay no-show items

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 ebay no-show items

Post by ed »

danger...entering rant mode

For the third time this year I've order parts from ebay sellers which haven't arrived. They have all been low value parts from (what looks like) Chinese sellers based in the UK. I'm beginning to suspect(what, me, cynical!) that these people just don't post these items, thinking that they are so low in value that they might not be chased...they have all been £3-£6 with free postage, ancilliary peripherals for embedded systems.

It's not really le mort d'homme but it takes a while to get your money back with ebay and that's frustrating(chill Ed, it's only time).

Anybody else had this problem?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by simon »

Not on ebay, but I bought some digital calipers from a Chinese seller on Amazon marketplace. They were £2.74 inc. shipping or something crazy. They were due to take the best part of a month to arrive, but what do you expect from "free" delivery half way around the world, right?

They never turned up, which I guess wasn't a huge surprise on reflection. When I looked at the seller on Amazon their ratings had dived - looks like they stopped trading, or sending the goods out anyway, about when I ordered.

Took a few days to get the money back as I had to follow the procedure. Maybe the seller had been taken ill, maybe they trousered the money. Maybe Amazon are able to recover the funds from them. Maybe they can't.

I guess it's a reminder that inexpensive from the other side of the world isn't without (multiple) issues.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#3 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by mainscablesrus »

simon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:09 pm Not on ebay, but I bought some digital calipers from a Chinese seller on Amazon marketplace. They were £2.74 inc. shipping or something crazy. They were due to take the best part of a month to arrive, but what do you expect from "free" delivery half way around the world, right?

They never turned up, which I guess wasn't a huge surprise on reflection. When I looked at the seller on Amazon their ratings had dived - looks like they stopped trading, or sending the goods out anyway, about when I ordered.

Took a few days to get the money back as I had to follow the procedure. Maybe the seller had been taken ill, maybe they trousered the money. Maybe Amazon are able to recover the funds from them. Maybe they can't.

I guess it's a reminder that inexpensive from the other side of the world isn't without (multiple) issues.
You actually spent precious minutes of your life processing a refund for £2.74?
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by simon »

Of course. I'm from Yorkshire. :-P

Actually, I wanted the item so was just working through the process of finding out if it was coming or not. Thanks for your concern.
ed
retired

#5 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by ed »

mainscablesrus wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:51 pm
You actually spent precious minutes of your life processing a refund for £2.74?
I wonder if lady fortune dealt you a lousy card next week and you found yourself standing in the line for the food bank. I wonder if that question would occur to you. Food for thought.

I chased it, and I'm not even from Yorkshire, go figure.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by Paul Barker »

All too common Ed. eBay totally transformed since last century. It’s pants.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#7 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by Paul Barker »

When I first used it to buy valves from America when I don’t even think there was an eBay uk it was truly mint. They were all real people selling their own valves in ones and twos and everything arrived. All the private sellers who originally dominated were chased away by the beaurocracy by rules set to give seller less rights and more costs and eBay getting greedy by vertical integration cutting out for a while all other payment options than their own Paypal. You can no longer trust eBay as a platform it’s been gradual but insidious that is chased away genuin amateurs. Now it’s full of dropshippers who often don’t ever intend to ship you’re item, bide their time until you can no longer reclaim and due to length of time to arrive from China by example get away Scott clear!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by Nick »

If its any consolation that's what I thought about the internet before they invented the world wide web.

Its my birthday, I am allowed to be grumpy.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylspinner
User

#9 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by vinylspinner »

Happy 40th Nick
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#10 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by mainscablesrus »

Nick wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 pm If its any consolation that's what I thought about the internet before they invented the world wide web.

Its my birthday, I am allowed to be grumpy.
LOL happy 60th more like
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
ed
retired

#11 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by ed »

here's another one...

ebuyer..yeah...ebuyer...

I ordered a laptop/tablet last tuesday
it arrived on wednesday...hooray!
I checked it and it was falsely advertised...
I spoke to support and they apologised and agreed it was not as advertised and issued me with a return
received an email to say it would be picked up on Friday between 8am and 9pm
I waited in all day
no courier
On Monday morning I followed the contact details and spoke to Jane...she assured me it would be collected today(Tuesday) between 8 am and 9
This morning I had received no confirmation of pick up so cantacted ebuyer and asked to check the pick up details and send me confirmation
confirmation email arrived
I waited in all day
no courier

am I angry!
Richard Higgins
User

#12 Re: ebay no-show items

Post by Richard Higgins »

Well, I guess I've been lucky, but everything I've ordered has been as described and within reasonable time, except the last thing, a se of wiper blades for a BMW 1 Series.

I ordered them from a firm in Kent and received a set for an Audi.

Could I get them to understand that they had sent the wrong parts, no.

I sent them photos, pointed out it was not the part number on their advert, but got nowhere.

I started the return process, printed off the label and took them into a Post Office and got a return postage receipt.

By the time I got home Ebay had sent me an email recognising that the wipers were being returned in the post.

Four working days later Ebay asked if I had received a refund.

I emailed no, within 20 minutes I received an email saying Ebay had refunded me.

So 0/10 for Mr Wiper, 10/10 for Ebay system.

Cheers

Richard