back to the future

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 back to the future

Post by ed »

I fell down the rabbit hole again....

I came across this but don't recall anybody posting about it before, but it's entirely possible it's been discussed before but I've missed it. Anyway I thought I'd post it in case nobody's seen it before and some may find it interesting....

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/185 ... licon-fets
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: back to the future

Post by Mike H »

Good heavens! :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: back to the future

Post by IslandPink »

Tasty !
It's just an engineering issue now, to get them in CPUs ! :roll:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: back to the future

Post by Nick »

I remember hearing about field emitters a bit back, but I would expect there would be more problems getting a real life circuit working at 480Ghz than just the speed of the device. That's a wavelength a little over half a millimetre.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#5 Re: back to the future

Post by ed »

point taken..but I didn't read it like that....they don't have to operate at 480ghz. There's stacks of room to be useful at lesser speeds.

I'm thinking that the article was put up in 2014 and there hasn't been any noise(I'm guessing) since so maybe they've had more problems with it.

The only reason I haven't released the details of my teleportation unit is because I'm waiting for this bit of the puzzle to be proven.
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: back to the future

Post by Nick »

It does beg the question though, how would you know it was oscillating?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#7 Re: back to the future

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 pm It does beg the question though, how would you know it was oscillating?
oh, I'd know, trust me!

but seriously, the last sentence in the penultimate paragraph was the one that I thought relevent to this thread. For audio use they don't have to go anywhere near 480ghz, but they might win over all the valve die hards. I think we'll have to wait and see.

This, or the graphene transistors my be the tech that keeps Moore's law going, cos the talk for the last few years has been that it's running out of steam. I admit there's some license here cos you'd have to apply Moore's law to speed rather than number of transistors.
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: back to the future

Post by Nick »

Though of course Moore's law is not a law, just an observation. So nothing will go badly wrong if the rate of change slows down. 3nm is on the horizon. And as you point out Moors law has always been about density not speed. And there is always 3D.
shane
Social outcast

#9 Re: back to the future

Post by shane »

3nm? Jesus. When I left Xfab/Mitel/Plessey in 2004 they were just beginning to talk about .18um for foundry work carried out at TSMC!

What sort of lithography gear are they using for that, I wonder?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
ed
retired

#10 Re: back to the future

Post by ed »

here you go Shane:
https://blog.exxactcorp.com/cpu-die-shrink-mean-future/

although that might be a bit out of date...the current AMD ZEN4 process seems to be centered around 5nm....

but re the above discussion I'm not sure where the bottlenecks are at the moment, whether its component switching speeds or path lengths. There is some talk about hybrid chips whereby existing 10nm layers talk to each other and are only fired when necessary to minimise current consumption. At this point I take leave of my understanding....I'll leave this thread in more capable hands.
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: back to the future

Post by Nick »

And that link is slightly behind the curve

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/10/1866 ... or-e3-2019
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: back to the future

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:04 pm It does beg the question though, how would you know it was oscillating?
That occurred to me also! :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Neal
Shed dweller

#13 Re: back to the future

Post by Neal »

Amazing how quickly the IT world moves, I’ve been out of touch with technology developments for about 18months, when I semi-retired the talk was about going back to 14nm and developing 3D processors, anything less that 10nm was deemed not practical to mass produce.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.