Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Subjects that don't have their own home
Greg
Social outcast

#31 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Greg »

Paul Barker wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:32 amBecause it’s always given me a horrendous illness that last much longer than the common cold I refuse it and feel much better all winter than when I’ve had it. Wife refuses it as well.
Are you both allergic to eggs?
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Paul Barker »

No
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#33 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by jack »

Greg wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:58 pm Are you both allergic to eggs?
There are egg-free flu vaccines available on the NHS.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#34 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:09 am Sorry, I was having a bad day yesterday.
Nick ( Jack ) by 'control group' , do you mean 'how is the normal healthy range set' ?
Indeed. Any statement of that type needs a reference. What are ideal levels and what are the levels in the general population?

Just doing the scientific thing 😎
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by pre65 »

I may be wrong (it can happen :lol: ) but I would have suspected that when a health professional is reviewing a patients test results they would be well aware of what the ideal figure should be.

When my Doctor discusses such things with me I rely on her medical experience to advise me accordingly.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

jack wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:25 pm Indeed. Any statement of that type needs a reference. What are ideal levels and what are the levels in the general population?
Yes. This is an audio forum. I assume my cousin who is a consultant psychiatrist with 35 years experience understands the lab reference levels and how they relate to national and/or internationally accepted ranges for what represents healthy levels for these vitamins. Hence my annoyance yesterday evening.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

Actually I don't need to assume anything, because I discussed the whole subject of individual lab ranges vs. national standards with her, in regard to RBC Magnesium, for my own tests that were done in the last 3 years.
Greg
Social outcast

#38 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Greg »

Paul Barker wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 pmNo
So, if you do not have an egg allergy yet the vaccine makes you ill, that is quite unusual. Most people have no problem with it at all. The fact the illness impacted both you and your wife is even more unusual. Were you inoculated at the same time when you were afflicted this way? Makes me wonder if your jabs were from a dodgy batch.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#39 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:49 pm
jack wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:25 pm Indeed. Any statement of that type needs a reference. What are ideal levels and what are the levels in the general population?
Yes. This is an audio forum. I assume my cousin who is a consultant psychiatrist with 35 years experience understands the lab reference levels and how they relate to national and/or internationally accepted ranges for what represents healthy levels for these vitamins. Hence my annoyance yesterday evening.
I apologize if my query offended in some way - that was obviously not the intention.

Maybe it was phrased insensitively, but I've seen far too many statements which make a claim and have no reference - the qualifications of the person are not being questioned and doesn't mean the statement is incorrect, just clarification on the source of the data. Btw, we have friends who are consultants - one is an anaesthetist, two are rheumatologists and the last is a child psychiatrist. Discussions like this are considered healthy, are not unusual and not considered to cast aspersions on professional competence.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#40 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Mike H »

Apologies if it seemed like I was dissing the subject earlier, I wasn't, merely telling about a previous experience with vitamins. However for some time have been thinking about vit D shortage in the winter time. For example at the mo, being January, I just want to hibernate all the time, don't want to get up. Which means I go to bed later which doesn't help. Altho today is not too bad, sun is out, so makes it worth getting up for. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#41 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:36 pm
don't want to get up. Which means I go to bed later which doesn't help.
Sounds familiar. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#42 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Ali Tait »

One benefit of being ginger, your body can produce healthy levels of D at low light levels. :D
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#43 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

That would be handy if it was true :) Perhaps this is what my ginger Canadian friend at work was thinking.
My schedule is sliding to the right at the moment, as you say, Mike. I have a number of audio jobs that I need to start , just summoning-up the motivation.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#44 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:05 pm That would be handy if it was true :)
Are you saying it isn't true?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

Correct, it's not true. Only UV-B getting through to the relevant layers of the skin can produce vitamin D. There's very little UV-B that gets through the atmosphere when the sun is below 45°to the ground.