Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Subjects that don't have their own home
Max N
Old Hand

#61 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Max N »

Could someone point me towards a suitable Vitamin D supplement?
What should I be looking for, what dose etc?
Something like this?

Or is cod liver oil better?
Thanks
Neal
Shed dweller

#62 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Neal »

Max the sun is shining, strip off and go outside :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Max N
Old Hand

#63 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Max N »

Hi Neal :wave:
I have been outside a lot these last few weeks, and getting plenty of sun.
But I have decided to start taking a vitamin D supplement regularly for a specific reason (not COVID), so just want to make sure I am ordering something suitable.
steve s
Shed dweller

#64 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by steve s »

I use boots own brand
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Greg
Social outcast

#65 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Greg »

10ug daily is the recommended dose. Do not exceed 100ug daily as it is possible to overdose on Vit D causing a condition called hypercalcaemia.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins- ... vitamin-d/
Max N
Old Hand

#66 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Max N »

Thanks everyone.
I've decided to go with osteocare tablets. Because I have Ceoliac disease I am at risk of osteoporosis, so these tablets will also help with that. 2 birds with 1 stone etc :D
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#67 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Ray P »

Max N wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:48 pm ...I am at risk of osteoporosis...
It's not so much a risk but a fact of life, for all of us - part of aging is bone density loss. It's just a question of degree and it's definitely not something that only affects little old ladies.

Since I fractured my hip 10yrs ago I've had a couple of DEXA scans to monitor bone density. Exercise can mitigate the onset, especially load-bearing, and Vit. D3 helps with calcium absorption.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/dexa-scan/
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#68 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Paul Barker »

Max sun is by far the best way to synthesise D for yourself, far more effective than orally injesting it. I would have thought more so with you’re Gastrointestinal disposition.

However in UK sunlight has a lot of atmosphere to diminish it, so for purposes of synthesising naturally D close to midday Spring and Autumn or don’t bother. High summer not a problem. Winter forget it.

Sunlight doesn’t contain any vitamins as obviously you’re bright enough to know. But it is how we’re intended to manufacture D. Or we cheat the system eating herring or shrimp. Shrimp living in shallow water do for us what we should get enough sun to do ourselves. We or the Herring eat the shrimp and get our D secondhand. (Herring eat the shrimp so we get it 3rd hand from Hering.

But in Northern Hemisphere our ancestors we’re adapted to make sufficient D from Sun by evolving white skinned.

At the equator you can be dark coloured and get more than enough D.

Sun is far over and above superior to poping a pill especially if GI tract not you’re best asset.

Obvs popping a pil is essential winter and less so Spring and Autumn and a waste of money Summer if you get outside enough and expose enough skin.

All these supplements the media and Big Pharma are pushing on behalf of the Superrich will mostly feed the drains when they come out when you tinkle. Best to get a taste for the natural essential element sources such as shrimp and Herring to a lesser extent other sea life but if it’s pink in colour and lives in the shallows that’s you’re best!

The harvested mushroom left in the Sun concept is probably OK to use in a crisis but secondhand obtained orally too so second best to direct sun.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#69 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Nick »

Sun is far over and above superior to poping a pill especially if GI tract not you’re best asset.
Why? Seems like a unsupported claim that. Why is D from a pill any different to D from a fish?
Best to get a taste for the natural essential element sources such as shrimp and Herring
Remember the sea is not an infinite resource, and not everyone can afford seafood.
All these supplements the media and Big Pharma are pushing on behalf of the Superrich
That would be a indication to ignore the post if it was from someone you didn't know.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#70 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

Nick wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:34 am
Why? Seems like a unsupported claim that. Why is D from a pill any different to D from a fish?
I thought the point was about Sun vs. pill ?
In that case I can see a benefit, since if you go out in the summer at midday ( mostly unclothed ) you can make about 25,000iu in half an hour.

However in practice you'd have to take it in pill form between autumn and spring unless you eat herring every day.
I've not seen shrimp listed as a good source - maybe the herring concentrates it ?
I'll check.
The only other significant food source for D is lard. How much lard do people eat these days ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#71 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#72 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by pre65 »

And, cod liver oil.

"Cod liver oil is a popular supplement. If you don't like fish, taking cod liver oil can be key to obtaining certain nutrients that are unavailable in other sources.

It’s an excellent source of vitamin D — at about 448 IU per teaspoon (4.9 ml), it clocks in at a massive 56% of the DV. It has been used for many years to prevent and treat deficiency in children (13Trusted Source, 14Trusted Source).

Cod liver oil is likewise a fantastic source of vitamin A, with 150% of the DV in just one teaspoon (4.9 ml). However, vitamin A can be toxic in high amounts.

Therefore, be cautious with cod liver oil, making sure to not take too much.

In addition, cod liver oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which many people are deficient in.

SUMMARY
Cod liver oil contains 448 IU of vitamin D per teaspoon (4.9 ml), or 56% of the DV. It is also high in other nutrients, such as vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids."

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#73 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

Yes indeed, it's always at the top of the list .
Here is the paper I use for reference on Vit D, I probably linked it before.
It's interesting to see that government guidelines on acceptable D intake from the US and UK are at odds with the evidence presented here.
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/69/5/842/4714819
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#74 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:01 pm
Nick wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:34 am
I thought the point was about Sun vs. pill ?
Ok, so rewrite the line as:

"Why? Seems like a unsupported claim that. Why is D from a pill any different to D from sunlight?"

My point is that being in the sun is not without its own risk. AFAIK there is no risk from the pill.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#75 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:30 pm Yes indeed, it's always at the top of the list .
Here is the paper I use for reference on Vit D, I probably linked it before.
It's interesting to see that government guidelines on acceptable D intake from the US and UK are at odds with the evidence presented here.
https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/69/5/842/4714819
Well, not entirely, unless I have missed something that paper says
Although the new DRI for vitamin D for most adults is 5 μg (200 IU)/d (19), the beneficial amount is more likely to be 10–12.5 μg
So that matches PHE's guideline (and the Morrisons' tablets I take).

And earlier where it does differ.
[If the objective is to optimize the probability of good health, then it seems reasonable that the daily vitamin D supply should be >20 μg/quote]

So if there was no light exposure, there would be benefit in doubling the dose.