General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#151 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

One of the salient conclusions that Tim Spector comes to from pulling together the results of innumerable trials and studies around the world is that overall there is no conclusive evidence that any vegetable or animal fats or oils are particularly harmful, and many are beneficial. This makes sense when you think that our bodies have evolved over a couple of million years to process and utilise them as a part of our natural diet. What’s really dangerous are the trans-fats that are created when vegetable oils are processed into harder products like margarine. Since these are new and unnatural substances our bodies cannot process them properly, and it is these that are largely responsible for the problems of obesity, heart disease and so on.

The advice that results is not to avoid particular food groups, which is often harmful, but to avoid highly processed food containing unnatural ingredients.

Don’t buy ready meals, cook your own from decent quality ingredients. That way you’re only eating stuff that your body is designed to process and you won’t go far wrong.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#152 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

My weight is hovering around the 80Kg level, and checking my BMI it's at the high end of healthy.(24.6)

I'd like to lose a bit more ideally, but I'm not going to fret about it.

Today the word is "prebiotic", and I'm looking at foods that have the ability to "feed" the good bacteria in the gut.

The problem with having an open mind is knowing when to stop "utter crap/bullshit" flooding in. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#153 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

That way you’re only eating stuff that your body is designed to process and you won’t go far wrong.
No "designing" going on, and for most of humans existence the average life span was about 25, so we are in uncharted territory.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#154 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

The problem with having an open mind is knowing when to stop "utter crap/bullshit" flooding in.
Its easy, if its a simple solution to a complex problem, its likely to be bullshit.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#155 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#156 Re: General health matters.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Love it!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
ed
retired

#157 Re: General health matters.

Post by ed »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:26 pm Love it!!
me to(o)!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#158 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:26 pm Love it!!
Me too. :lol:

My dear old Mum was only saying the other day how that so called "good advice" about what we eat has changed so much during her lifetime. Some things come and go, then come back again, very confusing.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#159 Re: General health matters.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Depending on what’s bad for you... lard looks not too bad from the BBC data. My grandma cooked chips in lard/dripping they were wonderful, she used it instead of butter too :? She lived to 95 - falling off a step ladder finished her off. But she only ever ate small portions and never snacked, except for boiled sweets. She never did processed food either. There has to be happy balance, between modern living and war time cooking.
I working from home is bad for my health. I snack now, when in the office - what I eat is rationed, by what I take.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#160 Re: General health matters.

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^^ I read that as your 95 year old Grandmother cooked chips in lard standing at the top of a step ladder.

I'm not too good at speed reading.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#161 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

working from home is bad for my health. I snack now, when in the office - what I eat is rationed, by what I take.
Great example, I know what you mean of course, but one of Phils book writer would take that, and make money from a book that shows how working from home is bad for your health. When in reality it may or may not be snacking is or isn’t bad for you. And of course working from home may or may not have or have not other benefits or costs that swamps or outweighs the harm/benefit of snacking.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#162 Re: General health matters.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Yes working from home has has its benefits health benefits too, I haven’t had a day off sick this year. In the last couple of years I have had at least 2 chest infections a year, resulting in time off to recover. For mental well-being I am going the same hours as going to work. 6:30am to 5:00pm Although I take a few more breaks, wanted to maintain the routine for if we ever go back, as I know how hard it is to get back into the swing of “normal life”.
I won’t miss hours wasted transferring large amount of data over the internet, or zoom/ teams meetings which freeze randomly.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#163 Re: General health matters.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:24 pm ^^^^ I read that as your 95 year old Grandmother cooked chips in lard standing at the top of a step ladder.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#164 Re: General health matters.

Post by IslandPink »

vinylnvalves wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:58 pm Depending on what’s bad for you... lard looks not too bad from the BBC data. My grandma cooked chips in lard/dripping they were wonderful, she used it instead of butter too :? She lived to 95 ..
Hey - can you guess what nutrient lard has - that very few other foods have .. ? :)
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#165 Re: General health matters.

Post by vinylnvalves »

She also used to have tripe at least once a week.. which is high in other essential vitamins. I didn’t realise that lard has almost the highest nature source density of vitamin D. Would need to have a 100grams of it per day .. can feel a layer of fat on my tongue just thinking about it.... almost enough to make me turn vegetarian