what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#751 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

trying manfully to rethink or repurpose a rhythm that sits quite happily at 200 bpm in 3/4 into a 4/4 rhythm at 120 bpm...This is to fit into a melody that I've been doodling for the last 6 months...or more precisely to find a background that I can play the melody over.....

and Sebastian keeps coming in and saying he's got to have the piano to practice for his next zoom lesson....

I feel your pain Ant.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#752 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

I got abit bored today and was tidying through a load of my many boxes bits and pieces. I was chucking bits and pieces that have been in one of the boxes for god knows how long. I found a small 5 pin locking connector, which set wheels turning, so I decided to replace the awful old connector on the JBE that connects the control box to the motor.

This connector was crap in 1978 and is even more crap now

ImageJBE series 3 with airprodigy arm by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

I've always had issues with it ever since I bought the deck, so it's now gone. Had to make a bracket for the new socket, and replacing the plug on the end of the flying lead was abit of a pig as the connector is abit small. Got there in the end though.

Unfortunately for everyone in the house demanding my attention, things escalated from there as I decided I wanted to try the airprodigy arm on the deck as it has been sat unused for about 12 months, (partly because of the dodgy old plug) and seeing it spinning for the first time in a long time set me off.

The arm board needed surgery to fit the new arm as the last arm it had on it was the at1100 i had. So I stuck it in the lathe and machined off the original perspex face, superglued a new bit of perspex on and then machined it round.

Then measured it up, drilled it for the mounting bolt and tapped a thread into the perspex. Then dragged the Lenco out and pulled the arm off it and fitted it onto the JBE.

Sounds really good.

Took me a few hours to replace the connector, sort the arm board and mount and set up the arm, and tidy up the absolute devastation I'd caused, but it was a nice job to do. Killed a few hours.
Never did finish going through all the parts boxes......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#753 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Interestingly, the arm/cart/jbe combo sounds more immediate, abit more dynamic and abit more forward than the lenco/arm/cart does. The bass is a little deeper, thats because i have set it up so the cart isnt slightly nose down this time, but it hasn't lost anything from being set up this way
The more forward bit is a characteristic of the jbe compared to the lenco. The rest is interesting, as usually they are pretty much on par.
Im wondering if it is because the arm performs better with a solid mounting as opposed to the decoupled mounting on the lenco.
On the jbe its sharper all round

ed
retired

#754 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

pulling my hair out(what's left of it)

now that I've embraced the modern world known as wordpress....
for the last 3 days I've been trying to recreate the live web site on the local server...using the backups
I've followed every guide on the web to the letter but I still can't get the links to work...

I'm now looking for a good nunnery to adopt me

Oh waily waily
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#755 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

I feel your pain Ed. I got Wordpress to work for my audio site at about 10th go by not trying to change the template I chose. I coded my previous site using raw HTML and felt in control of where everything was. To be successful with Wordpress, I had to let go of being in control and give in to what it wanted to do and only use plugins when I wanted something a bit more special.

If you mean links to images and the like, I found it easier to start again by allowing Wordpress to upload the images and stick them where it wanted. I then used a better plugin to get it a bit more attractive.
ed
retired

#756 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

Hi Stephen

it's a bit more sinister than that. The live site works a treat, no problems....

copied the wp site directory(all the wordpress files) to the local server(proper directory)
imported the wordpress database to the new database on the local server
ran all the published scripts to change the links in the imported wordpress database

tried to access the local site
all I get is the header and header menu and a message to say unable to satisfy links on the main page....

I've re imported the whole thing 4 times over the last 3 days and each time the same result....

I might go back to the html coded site cos this doesn't bode well if I ever want to migrate to new live server
Nick
Site Admin

#757 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

Do all the URLs in the local copy resolve to the correct locations. Have you checked the error log on of the web server. Also see what is returned when requesting the URLs using curl or similar.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#758 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:15 am Do all the URLs in the local copy resolve to the correct locations. Have you checked the error log on of the web server. Also see what is returned when requesting the URLs using curl or similar.
these are good questions, thanks, to which, at the moment,...

I've changed all the URLs in the fields, in the tables that are mentioned on all the web sites that document copying wp sites.
I've changed the entries in the wp-config.phpand my check script opens the db ok.
I haven't checked the error log...in truth I don't know where it is
this the response to any direct request for a resource....the drop down works fine but the links just return this page...

I am continuing the search for a little longer...there is still some hair left...but the longer I look the harder it will be to accept that I'm so stupid to have missed something so obvious...

wp-home.jpg
wp-home.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 5386 times
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#759 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

I had same issues time and again and gave up many times. In the end. I created it where it was going to live. It must be possible. Everywhere I read says it is yet ....
Neal
Shed dweller

#760 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Neal »

Have you tried using the Duplicator plugin? I manage a a number of Wordpress sites and it’s the only consistent way Ive found to move WP sites around.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
ed
retired

#761 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

mmmmm

I have been through the curl response to the access for the home page from the live server and the local server......

I've checked every line and the only difference I can detect is that the live server prefixes every link with https, while the local server prefixes with http.

the only common sense idea that comes to mind now is to do a standard wordpress install onto the local server and import the individual wp-content files and individual database tables.....

what really puzzles me is that there are links(URL links) in both versions to files which don't exist in the real world...
It is possible that these links are further processed in some way but without knowing the wordpress M.O it's hard to know how these links are used.
ed
retired

#762 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

sorry Neal our posts overlapped....
no, I haven't tried the duplicator route, being a simple soul I pursued the manual route...

I guess that's the next port of call.......I wonder why there are many guides to following the manual procedure but I haven't seen one response that says 'I can't get this to work'.

the plot thickens.....

Ironically I only did this out of curiosity, I don't need it. But it does throw into question whether the backup copies I've done would ever load back onto the live server in the event of an incident.
ed
retired

#763 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

@Nick

I was in such a dither that I didn't give your reference to the error log any thought.....
If you meant the site error log as visible in cpanel...then yes, I understand...but I don't have an equivalent that I'm aware of on the local server...

ah ha!...I've discovered this:

By default, you can find the Apache access log file at the following path:

/var/log/apache/access.log
/var/log/apache2/access.log
/etc/httpd/logs/access_log

I am digging at this very moment...

edit: -
after following many false trails and going down some seedy dark alleys I gave up...
using the duplicator was a total success..could have saved 3 says of angst.....looks like I fell on my smart arse again....
Ant
Shed dweller

#764 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Or what was i doing yesterday

After mostly finishing decorating the living room, i put the system back in. The fire hearth needs re finishing and the new carpet needs laying yet, so its not quite finished. Im not fitting it though, i hate fitting carpets ever since i did the stairs when we got the place 10 years ago, so some professionals are coming to do so next week. Having put the system back in, i found that the wiring box for the air arm on the jbe kept falling off the back of the plinth for some reason. Quick fix, drilled a pair of blind holes in the back edge of the slate plinth and epoxied some m3 inserts into it so the box could be bolted on.
Sorted.

I am also trying not to put as much of the 'crap' back in the living room, the missus and her candles make the fire hearth look like some sort of witches altar to the pagan gods. Which is why it needs refinishing..... Also, i want to try to rearrange all the pictures that need to go back on the walls so it looks much more ordered than before. I deliberately took all the picture hooks and nails out so i couldnt just be lazy and put them back where they were. Usual case, looks great when its redecorated, and then all the stuff going back in makes it worse..

ed
retired

#765 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

last night on bbc2
David Bowie - finding fame
I was fascinated by the early years
some darkly funny moments like Woody reminiscing about the evening DB announced the demise of ziggy on stage..and the live event..
first time I'd seen any live footage of 'my death'...awesome
I was quite surprised I'd never seen any of that footage over the years....where's it all been hiding..and who'd have thought to record it in the first place...

recommended for DB fans ...it'll be on Iplayer I'm sure