bees

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 bees

Post by ed »

one for Nick maybe?

We've got a swarm of bumble bees(well lots anyway) flying around close to our gutter adjacent to the bay window. About 20 feet away our next door neighbour has exactly the same thing going on under their gutter.

I've never seen a swarm of bumblies before, and didn't even know such a thing existed.

I haven't done anything with bees since I was at school when a chum had a couple of hives, but the idea occurred that if their are 2 bunches of bees then wouldn't there be 2 queens? and do bumblies ever live in colonies with queens...oh much to learn there is.

edit: sorted...I should have googled it before posting....

seems they are all males flying around a small nest waiting for a queen to emerge, in the hope that they'll get lucky. Just surprising that we've got a nest and so have next door, bothe busy at the same time. The bee site I read said that its the bee equivalent of a nightclub.....There are signs up in our adjacent road saying 'when exiting the club please don't disturb the residents'
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: bees

Post by simon »

We noticed a bumble bee nest two days ago high up on the gable end where the wire comes through for the security light.

We had one last year above the bedroom window. The buzzing was a bit annoying, but they disappeared around July IIRC.

I presume they don't do any harm.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: bees

Post by jack »

Leave them alone. They, and you, will be fine.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: bees

Post by Mike H »

Didn't think there were more than about a half dozen or so in a bumble bee nest?

Did get a nest in our nest box when I lived in Laindon, only lasted about 3 months I think, quite liked it tho made a change from bluetits! Which hadn't used it for a while. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: bees

Post by jack »

There are about 250 types of bumblebees and some can have up to 400 or so bees in their colonies...
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: bees

Post by pre65 »

Just seen this re the Asian Hornet, Bees beware. :shock:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#7 Re: bees

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:18 am Just seen this re the Asian Hornet, Bees beware. :shock:

UK beekeepers have been on the lookout for these for a few years. None around me, but there have been sightings in UK. BBC late to the party but the publicity is welcome.

Bottom line is that they will be here in numbers and they aren't nice.

I have pheremone-bated hornet traps round my hives...
IMG_20200603_102344_copy_665x887.jpg
PS. Ordinary European hornets eat bees too, and can destroy a colony (as can ordinary wasps).
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: bees

Post by Mike H »

jack wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:57 pm There are about 250 types of bumblebees and some can have up to 400 or so bees in their colonies...
That's told me then! :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: bees

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:17 pm
jack wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:57 pm There are about 250 types of bumblebees and some can have up to 400 or so bees in their colonies...
That's told me then! :lol:
We have quite a few bumblebee nests in the garden, plus one in the garage we recently cleared out (mentioned in another thread). Whilst up in the loft of that garage, my youngest disturbed the nest (it was inside a PAR stage light up there) and he got stung.

That's the first time I've ever seen someone get stung by a bumblebee...