Tesla.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Tesla.

Post by pre65 »

Good news for Tesla fans, battery technology and the environment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53067009
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Tesla.

Post by Nick »

Except there isn't actually any new yet, just hat there may be news soon.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Tesla.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:19 pm Except there isn't actually any new yet, just that there may be news soon.
I'm sure there will be.

By the time I get round to an electric car the difference in mileage available, and charging time, will be far in excess of what's available today. In my hopeful opinion of course. :lol:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Tesla.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:37 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:19 pm Except there isn't actually any new yet, just that there may be news soon.
I'm sure there will be.

By the time I get round to an electric car the difference in mileage available, and charging time, will be far in excess of what's available today. In my hopeful opinion of course. :lol:
I would argue that for 90% of people (at least) an electric car is already good enough in both those things. Only thing stopping most is purchase price, and that’s directly related to battery cost. BIK for company cars makes it a no brainier for company vehicles. Access to charging points for people in houses without off street parking is a bigger problem than batteries now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#5 Re: Tesla.

Post by Ray P »

Yep, there are very few journeys I make in the car that an electric one couldn't cope with easily without having to worry about recharging - I'll be seriously considering one when the old Volvo goes to the scrapyard in the sky.

One of the problems I have are the companies that seem to see an opportunity to make a quick buck from a currently largely captive audience; we have charging points at work that are run by one of these companies and they charge significanly more than the my domestic rate for a unit of electricity, which itself will be higher than commercial rates. I know that they have to put the charging infrastructure in place and that has costs but, perhaps naively, I imagined we would want to incentivise not deter.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Greg
Social outcast

#6 Re: Tesla.

Post by Greg »

I am also in the market for a new car and hope to buy an EV. I’d love a Tesla, but not sure my budget will stretch that far. It’s a pity they don’t sell for the price here that they sell for in the States. I’m hoping the rumour that the Prime Minister will, in early July announce a £6000 scrappage scheme is true. Not as good as the EU 10,000€ scheme but still a grant not to be sniffed at. If I decide not to go for a Tesla Model 3, next presently on my list is a Hyundai Kona Electric. Trying to save like mad at present, waiting for when the time is right to buy.
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Tesla.

Post by Nick »

That Hyundai was looking good until I found the "Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS)" which seems to sound like a cross between a Mac start-up sound and Music for Airports :-)
Greg
Social outcast

#8 Re: Tesla.

Post by Greg »

Nick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:23 pm That Hyundai was looking good until I found the "Virtual Engine Sound System (VESS)" which seems to sound like a cross between a Mac start-up sound and Music for Airports :-)
Yes, I’m banking on there being a way to disable it.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: Tesla.

Post by simon »

Driving a car on electric near people is a bit unnerving at first as they can't hear you. Quite a few times people have been ambling along in the middle of car parks unaware of a tonne and a half of car in stealth mode behind them.

The previous Prius used to beep when in reverse - but only inside the car. Not outside where it might actually be needed. Fortunately the latest doesn't beep.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: Tesla.

Post by simon »

Greg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 pm Yes, I’m banking on there being a way to disable it.
I seem to recall it was European legislation that decreed electric vehicles would make an artificial sound? Presumably for reasons above.
Greg
Social outcast

#11 Re: Tesla.

Post by Greg »

simon wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:42 pm
Greg wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:15 pm Yes, I’m banking on there being a way to disable it.
I seem to recall it was European legislation that decreed electric vehicles would make an artificial sound? Presumably for reasons above.
Yes, I’m still banking on there being a way to disable it.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: Tesla.

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:42 pm
Only at slow speeds as I understand things.

Edmund Burke

Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13 Re: Tesla.

Post by Ali Tait »

One downside is the cost of insurance currently (arf), Tesla’s are group 50.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#14 Re: Tesla.

Post by Ray P »

I wonder what the insurance will be on a Tesla Roadster? If the right numbers came up I could be tempted to pre-order one...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Michael L
Old Hand

#15 Re: Tesla.

Post by Michael L »

Surely there has to be some noise to alert pedestrians - especially kids and the visually impaired. Anyone who has visited places like Amsterdam, Cambridge or Bordeaux where people whizz about on bicycles or electric scooters will know they daren't change direction as a pedestrian without glancing behind. Many councils are working on road sharing schemes and promoting cycling - the latter especially with Covid. Knowing how many hopeless drivers there are on the roads, I personally would prefer to know where they are when I'm on foot or on my bike.