Tesla.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#46 Re: Tesla.

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:28 amDaft wannabe.
I was only sayin'.

Heheheh (etc etc).
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
shane
Social outcast

#47 Re: Tesla.

Post by shane »

Nick wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:17 am
the 605 BHP is still there when I want it and the generator is more than capable of keeping the battery topped up until the fuel runs out
But I think you are double counting there. The generator is capable of keeping the battery topped up or driving the car, it cant do both at 605Bhp. You have escaped that with
and for about 98% of the time I’m going to be using less than 100bhp
But then you don't have the same performance, you assume you are not using the full performance.

My point is while in practice it may work, there is no free lunch. In your example, you could just charge up your battery only P100D while you were showing me it, and then you would have enough range to go the 300 miles (you would anyway as you were only using 30 or 40 bhp for the journey).
In my normal everyday driving, charging at home, I’d not use the generator from one day to the next but it’s there when I need it for no penalty other than cost.
And the extra weight of the generator you were not using and cycling half the battery size twice as much.
Got visitors now, but I’ll come back later....
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
ed
retired

#48 Re: Tesla.

Post by ed »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:47 am I was only sayin'.

Heheheh (etc etc).
well you shoulda said
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

#49 Re: Tesla.

Post by Neal »

Afaik the bmw i3 range extender as an example uses a small twin cylinder motorBike Engine in a derated performance configuration to charge the battery only to extend the range. The engine has insufficient HP to be able to give the car any real world performance if it where to drive the wheels directly
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Greg
Social outcast

#50 Re: Tesla.

Post by Greg »

Hmmm, no incentive from the government today to buy EV’s :cry: What a shame; well, for me anyway :(

I’ve had a look at the Hyundai Kona Electric and it has less boot space than and old Austin Mini and no leg room for rear passengers, so that’s out. The Kia e-Nero is better in these respects but there is an eight month lead in time :twisted:

I think I’m going to wait until next year when plenty more models should be on the market. I’m not doing any mileage at the moment anyway. I filled the tank up in early March and still have a quarter tank full.
shane
Social outcast

#51 Re: Tesla.

Post by shane »

Quite fancy the little Honda myself. Pricey though.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Greg
Social outcast

#52 Re: Tesla.

Post by Greg »

shane wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:44 pm Quite fancy the little Honda myself. Pricey though.
Yep, they are all pricey at the moment. I like the look of the Honda but want greater range. I want a car that can do at least 180 miles on one charge as a minimum. I like the 278 mile on options mentioned above, but the same reasons for rejection exist.
Greg
Social outcast

#53 Re: Tesla.

Post by Greg »

I’m kind of hoping the VW iD4 will meet my requirements.

Reading around on the internet seems to show all EV’s are constrained by their battery capacity and what power they produce is typically the same. That is, until you look at Tesla who seem to be able to get far more from their battery set up. Of course, I have also read that companies who have done Tesla deconstruction have concluded that they can’t replicate what Tesla has done, principally because Tesla make all their own components where as other automotive companies have always relied on buy in components from other companies. eg. Lucas, Bosch etc.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#54 Re: Tesla.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Three words - Hydrogen fuel cells. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: Tesla.

Post by pre65 »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 am Three words - Hydrogen fuel cells. :)
IF I were a betting man, I'd put money on Hydrogen Fuel Cells being the dominant technology (eventually) for anything other than local journeys with cars.

There has to be something better than battery for LGV (transit/sprinter size), HGV and railway usage.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#56 Re: Tesla.

Post by Ant »

Didnt honda build a hydrogen powered car that was sold in i think california only? (Initially) Only place where you could refuel it. Same problem as electric cars when they were first released, a complete lack of infrastructure to service and refuel/recharge
Only byproduct of the engine was water iirc.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#57 Re: Tesla.

Post by Paul Barker »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:46 am Three words - Hydrogen fuel cells. :)
Hydrogen technology not ready yet. for domestic heating theres talk of replacing methane with hydrogen but the molecules are much smaller, and the grid is full of leaks as it is. The infrastructure would have to upgrade at great expense.

Theres enough natural gas under Q8 to supply the world for 100 years, not to mention we faught the Faulklands war to defend our foothold into Antarctica with its rich stash of oil and gas.

As the hmgov. deadline approaches manufacturers are experimenting with hybrid heating with hydrogen and methane combined but pure hydrogen isn,t yet arrived at a successful R&D result.

The sterling engine heating which Baxi tried to spearhead was a complete flop. Totally unreliable, non viable and the poor punters that bought into the product either couldn,t add up or were fools with too much money. The boiler cost about £ 5 g’s, the feed in tarrif for the lame 1kw it generated only when heating on earned them about £12 a year. I had to attend the overpriced unreliable bag of shyte the size of a Fridge sat on the kitchen wall constantly for British Gas, who like Baxi envisaged the next bandwaggon so jumped into bed with Baxi. Baxi designed and built thhem BG ained sole right to dispribute and maintain them.That was BG’s stupidets of mnay stupid management decisions!

Whole projewas a plete flop which left people with a chocolate fire guard the size of a fridge hanging on the wall wauting for the repair man most of the time, and we had no van stock and the strndard heating parts distribution methods couldn’t access the parts as Baxi had monopoly and would only distribute through BG, so people waited weeks for a part, o gte the bag of hsyte back up and running a day, before it broke again!

Sit back and wait until the technology is up to speed with hmguvs daft ideas.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#58 Re: Tesla.

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:49 am
Sit back and wait until the technology is up to speed .
And same with the current crop of electric cars. Better, and cheaper will come, so like Greg, unless you really have to go electric, best wait.

My car is reasonably fuel efficient (for it's size) and (hopefully) could last me out if necessary.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#59 Re: Tesla.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:19 am
IF I were a betting man, I'd put money on Hydrogen Fuel Cells being the dominant technology (eventually) for anything other than local journeys with cars.
If you were a betting man I would take that bet for whatever amount you wanted (for some definition of eventually).
There has to be something better than battery for LGV (transit/sprinter size), HGV and railway usage.
Why? The universe is not built to solve all our solutions.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#60 Re: Tesla.

Post by Nick »

And same with the current crop of electric cars. Better, and cheaper will come, so like Greg, unless you really have to go electric, best wait.
There is that old climate change problem that’s still there of course.

All modern tech works like negative inflation, if you wait, a better version will be next, so best not to buy yet. But that ignores the advantage available now, from what’s available now. David’s got a electric Audi now, not heard him complain about anything other than the cost of getting a charging point installed. Anyone buying for a business that isn't a road warrior will have problems finding a good argument against electric at the moment.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.