Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#316 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:14 pm
Nick wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:58 pm
pre65 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 pm

Sorry, but even if I had a Tesla Frunk is a word I would not use.

More likely "front boot". :lol:
So if you had 911 or a beetle would it be the rear bonnet?
Thinking about it, no.

Only if a vehicle had engines front and rear.(can't think of one offhand)

The terminology of boot (or trunk) gets more complicated when there are storage areas front and rear.
That would make (some) sense if you used your phrase "front boot" because there was no engine in the car.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#317 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Dave the bass »

jack wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:32 pm
We're not in the USA.
....says the fella who logs cycle rides in England using Kilometres :twisted: :)
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#318 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Back to EV's ref "Jacks" comment on rare earth and magnets, motor without magnets:

https://newatlas.com/automotive/mahle-m ... ion-motor/

And also seems that Tesla already use motors without magnets:

https://www.tesla.com/blog/induction-ve ... ess-motors
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#319 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Ali Tait »

Frunk - USA

Froot - UK

:D
Nick
Site Admin

#320 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I think there is a good argument to be made that the current car bonnet is so far from the shape that justified its name that its all a bit meaningless. Look at (say) an Austin 7 and you can see the connection to the head covering. Modern car, not so much.
Neal
Shed dweller

#321 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Neal »

It’s also most likely derived from the French as well. Hood being closer to English, :D
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Greg
Social outcast

#322 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Greg »

Greg wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 pm The 12 volt battery can, if needed be charged through a connector block located behind an easily removable panel in the front bumper. In any case, regular 12 volt battery replacement is part of the service plan.
Sorry, I mis-informed. The Model 3 is similar to the Model S albeit a hell of a lot simpler. The panel In the bumper I referred to is actually on the left side of the front face where a grill would be on an ICE car. Connecting a 12V supply here will spring the bonnet/hood allowing access to a service panel just below the windscreen. This simply unclips, then unclip an air intake fitting and the 12v battery is exposed for charging. A less than 5 minute tool free job.

Tesla state this should be an unlikely necessity for a regularly used car. James May’s circumstance is probably due to his occasional use of his Model S. As said, replacement of the 12V battery is part of the service plan, well before (in my view) it’s capacity would be exhausted.

The battery in my last car, a Citroen Xsara Picasso was still good when I sold the car after 13 years and 120K miles. Good job as access to it was under the front passenger seat which needed the seat mountings to be 50% dismantled with tools for access. Clearly it is not just EV’s that have battery access issues.

PS. The hood/bonnet covers the frunk/foot/froot. The trunk/boot lid doesn’t appear to have a name. I’m not in the USA, I live in the U.K. and I’m British, but I have bought an American manufactured car. I can’t see a problem with using American terminology for my car, regardless of where I live. Surely and appropriately, shouldn’t that be the case?
shane
Social outcast

#323 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by shane »

Greg wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:35 am
PS. The hood/bonnet covers the frunk/foot/froot. The trunk/boot lid doesn’t appear to have a name. I’m not in the USA, I live in the U.K. and I’m British, but I have bought an American manufactured car. I can’t see a problem with using American terminology for my car, regardless of where I live. Surely and appropriately, shouldn’t that be the case?
Best not buy a new MG then….
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#324 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yikes!what's wrong with new MGs?

I freely admit that I am enjoying this topic very much. Austin 7 with a spring bonnet indeed...trunk schmuck, boot schmoot etc. Bring it on. As old Ozzy Wilde said, we have everything in common with the Americans except our language.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#325 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

The new 4680 battery that Tesla and Panasonic are developing should bring benefits to range and capacity when they get it into full production.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#326 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Is it new chemistry or just the one with different packing?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#327 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:48 am Is it new chemistry or just the one with different packing?
There are several videos on YouTube. Try this one.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#328 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

I know. But you posted that before so I assumed you had watched it.
Nick
Site Admin

#329 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by Nick »

Ok so it's what they announced last year.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#330 Re: Zero emission road vehicles.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:27 am Ok so it's what they announced last year.
I get confused by all the "news" regarding Tesla, but I think it's the "tabless" battery that is supposed to bring many benefits. Also, it seems the Tesla truck (the Semi) needs batteries like the 4680 to make it a viable proposition.

What with all the other developments worldwide regarding batteries (like solid state and air/aluminium) it could be an exciting time for EV development and progress worldwide.

Edmund Burke