Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Subjects that don't have their own home
steve s
Shed dweller

#46 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:06 pm I heard a rumour about 'Jazz at the pawn shop'.
Yes I enjoy this cd, I have volume 1 and 2,
I know the track very well, in my view it is well recorded, and it highlights diffences in amplification very well.
It sounded very similar on all the single ended amplifiers on the day in my view.

Daves big push pull amps put a different slant to that cd, as it did with every thing that was played, personal preference play a big part here, and the push pull amp did somethings very well. But in my view the mids where not as incisive as the other amps, but all credit, it did an excellent job on the bass line to that to that subwoofer challenging track.
I was very impressed with how it handled that, but on the same track the piano mids sounded slightly muffled, which was a shame, but nevertheless it produced a big sound that dave should be proud of. I liked it.

I was pleased with how my mofo amp sounded, but I don't think, looking back, that it was as good as it was..
I had a dry joint that stopped me using for a few months, in the process of fixing it put the 4 pin rectifier in the wrong way, which resulted in magic smoke and a scramble to repair it on Wednesday.

The transformer replacement had a 6 volt heater and I ended up using a ez35, which structurally I'd say is very wimpish compared to the old rectifier I was using.. I think it changed the sound. But I'll have another's search though my transformers with a view to changing it again.. so will see if I imagined it or not..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#47 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Thermionic Idler »

steve s wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:00 pm I was very impressed with how it handled that, but on the same track the piano mids sounded slightly muffled, which was a shame, but nevertheless it produced a big sound that dave should be proud of. I liked it.
Thanks Steve! I had exactly the same thought at that point in the track - "where did the piano go". With hindsight, subbing the 5U4's might have gone some way to mitigate that - it really has opened out the midrange considerably, versus the chinese 5AR4.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#48 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by IslandPink »

steve s wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:00 pm Yes I enjoy this cd, I have volume 1 and 2,
I know the track very well, in my view it is well recorded, and it highlights differences in amplification very well.
I was being slightly mischievous. I know you played a variety of stuff actually.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#49 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

What was that CD with the track that had the subterranean bass on it again? - the amp torture track? I'd like to see if I can dial it up on Qobuz and try it out here. I know the Mets won't go as deep as Steve's speakers but it might still be worth a try.

I was listening to Peter Gabriel's "Kiss That Frog" yesterday after setting up the amps again - that's quite a test bass-wise in itself, it's nice to have a feedback-less amp that doesn't have one-note bass.
steve s
Shed dweller

#50 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by steve s »

Thermionic Idler wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:02 pm What was that CD with the track that had the subterranean bass on it again? - the amp torture track? I'd like to see if I can dial it up on Qobuz and try it out here. I know the Mets won't go as deep as Steve's speakers but it might still be worth a try.

I was listening to Peter Gabriel's "Kiss That Frog" yesterday after setting up the amps again - that's quite a test bass-wise in itself, it's nice to have a feedback-less amp that doesn't have one-note bass.
It was the last track on this dave
20210613_233122_copy_834x944.jpg
20210613_233122_copy_834x944.jpg (226.03 KiB) Viewed 3293 times
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#51 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Cheers Steve, found it on Qobuz so hopefully I'll get a chance to play it tonight in between episodes of "Justified".
Nick
Site Admin

#52 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Nick »

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#53 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by pre65 »

Shock - horror !!

I've ordered a copy of that CD, it's coming from Germany.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#54 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by steve s »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:21 am Shock - horror !!

I've ordered a copy of that CD, it's coming from Germany.
You fool... 😀

But it is an exceptional test of sub bass, both speakers and amplification are challenged.
I listened to nicks link on my phone, it actually sounded quite normal on its little speakers...
It's takes a few minutes to climatize to the low stuff, then the last seconds makes you jump... for all the wrong reasons, but you must listen loud

It would be interesting to know how daves metronomes handled it ?
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Played it on my 45 amp :lol:

Actually it wasn’t bad. The piano didn’t distort until the listening level was well above normal.
What it did show however was that my homebrew output transformers do awesome bass. That makes me happier than anything else.
5E8DD93B-382C-46C6-B220-B21C8383D1E3.jpeg
5E8DD93B-382C-46C6-B220-B21C8383D1E3.jpeg (98.18 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ant
Shed dweller

#56 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Ant »

Ha! I must have bought the last copy on ebay uk then phil if you had to buy from germany
We like a bit of new music
Im looking at japanese jazz at the moment, where to start......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#57 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ant wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:53 am ….Im looking at japanese jazz at the moment, where to start......
Soil & Pimp Sessions will annoy the hell out of Emma :lol:
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#58 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Nick »

it actually sounded quite normal on its little speakers
But if you listen to it on anything like good headphones the bass is playing more of a tune than we could hear in the room.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#59 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:32 pm
But if you listen to it on anything like good headphones the bass is playing more of a tune than we could hear in the room.
Yes, the bass played a tune on my Fanes. Which is one reason I knew the OPTs were good.
chris661
Shed dweller

#60 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by chris661 »

Nick wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:32 pm
it actually sounded quite normal on its little speakers
Might be a room effect. I've measured +15dB peaks and near-perfect cancellations. I'm pretty lucky with my room - there aren't any big holes in the LF response at the listening position.

That particular track is quite fun on something that measures flat to 10Hz.

Chris