300b O/P transformers

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 300b O/P transformers

Post by pre65 »

Hi All

Today i have been "playing" with the 300b amp that i have been using to drive the 845 project.

I have clipleaded in the Ask Jan output transformers that were originally fitted,but this time set to 8 ohm for the speakers.

They can be wired up for 4K or 5.2K on the primary but they sounded the same to me,should that be so ?

As a further experiment i have connected the 6.8K output transformers i am using for 845 and they sound good as well.

It has been said before that the output transformer resistance is not of paramount importance which this "test" confirms.

Now the sound seems less prominent in the mid range than i remember but it now has DC heating for the 300b,is that likely to be the cause ?
I am tempted to try the DIY hi-fi supply heater module for 300b and will be interested to see how Steve gets on with his PX25 amp when his ones arrive.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Using higher reflected loads will tend to decrease distortion, but reduce volume, as long as replacing the extra volume doesn't increase distorion beyond the starting point there should be a improvement. But in my experence its not something that you can hear as its mainly the level of 2nd harmonic which is benign in sound.

It might be the heating, I find that AC heating can tend to muddle up the midrange, but thats just me YMMV.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Nick wrote: It might be the heating, I find that AC heating can tend to muddle up the midrange, but thats just me YMMV.
That's an interesting observation.

I have always wondered if AC heating was truly blameless beyond the usual heater hum we all know and love.

Does alternating heater current cause some sort of odd (diode?) effect that generates harmonics at 200hz, 400Hz and again 800Hz and even 1.6khz?

I would expect the fundamental to be at 100hz, would that be right?

-- Andrew
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote:It might be the heating, I find that AC heating can tend to muddle up the midrange, but thats just me YMMV.
Is that a fact? *rushes off to investigate DC heater supply*

How about noise on the mains? Might be amazed what's on there if you put a 'scope on it. One time when I did it was like a very bad square wave

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep, my mains is very poor, varies in level a lot, and has harmonics all the way up to 10k or so, and they vary during the day. Think thats why I spend so much time messing with power supplies.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

that would fit with using small value chokes on heater supplies. they don't get rid of all of the 50hz wave but they reduce it to a fairly inocuous nice smooth sine ?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Yes that's a good idea, maybe like those 1mH high current ferrite bobbin types. Have one on each side :)
Nick wrote:Yep, my mains is very poor, varies in level a lot, and has harmonics all the way up to 10k or so, and they vary during the day. Think thats why I spend so much time messing with power supplies.
Same here! You just reminded me one time I turned it on and there was this background buzz, like it had a bad earth or something. N-no...

Only need some guy up the road using a variable speed power tool and we get the triac switching pulses *huh?*

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."