Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#121 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by jack »

I'm well aware of vitamin D deficiency in sunny climes - I've commented on it here in the past - I was deficient when living in the UAE, as were almost all ex-pats (90+% of the population), so most end up taking supplements. It was more a comment on just how far from the norms of the rest of Europe the candidates in that precursor trial were.

Anyway, the important thing is that the trial is going ahead. SWMBO has signed up, as has one of my sisters.

Determining appropriate dose for a given individual is important too - Vitamin D can be toxic in certain circumstances and the consequences are unpleasant.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#122 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by vinylnvalves »

SWMBO... was telling me of a study that suggests zinc is another thing that our bodies need for fighting Covid. I may even have been signed up to another Covid study... another study for Covid I enter details for. I already take zinc to help me sleep, along with my vitamin D.... Thinking a should buy Holland and Barratt shares.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#123 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

Probably yes. It's one of the things they listed that Trump was given ... although that isn't a ringing endorsement. However it's easy to be short of it. I remember that studies of Chlorohydroquine showed it worked a lot better with Zinc added.... until eventually it was found that chlorohydroquine doesn't really do anything against Covid ! I take 25mg/day myself, and if i don't take it, I get depressed within 2/3 days. With 25mg/day, my zinc level ( tested ) is just below the midline healthy level.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#124 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Greg »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:30 pm With 25mg/day, my zinc level ( tested ) is just below the midline healthy level.
So what’s your diet like?

Surely the supplement should be just that, a supplement. A varied diet should provide just about all the zinc we need so I am given to understand. Taking a supplement and still being below the midline healthy level would concern me.
Michael L
Old Hand

#125 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Michael L »

This is quite an informative article. I'm still unsure a supplement would be of benefit to me.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life ... 51612.html
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#126 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

Greg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:08 pm So what’s your diet like?

Surely the supplement should be just that, a supplement. A varied diet should provide just about all the zinc we need so I am given to understand. Taking a supplement and still being below the midline healthy level would concern me.
Diet's fine mate. Depends how much alcohol and tea/coffee you drink. We can't all be perfect :)
Greg
Social outcast

#127 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Greg »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:27 pm Diet's fine mate. Depends how much alcohol and tea/coffee you drink. We can't all be perfect :)
Clearly, if your excuse is tea, coffee and alcohol, your diet isn’t fine. I don’t know, but I suspect you are a rigid vegetarian?

So you need more legumes, beans, nuts, especially nut butters, tahini, hummus and also tofu.

Really, with an adequate diet, your zinc score should be close to or on the healthy midline. If you supplement, it should be way above.
Greg
Social outcast

#128 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Greg »

I hope I’m not being a pedant here. There is a massive difference between being Zinc inadequate and Vit D inadequate. The first can be diet controlled, the second relies on lifestyle which employed people in particular cannot always accommodate, and even those of us who are retired, don’t get outdoors for long enough. Basically, regardless of age or occupation, any of us can be Vit D deficient simply because we’ve not got into the sunshine enough.

So my point is, Vit D supplements are probably a very good thing. Zinc supplements probably are as well, but IMHO, shouldn’t be necessary. If they are, one should expect that on test, the score of consumers should overall be well above healthy midline. Having said that, Mark, I see your comment on mental health and I’ve given no consideration to this. I’ve not found anything on the NHS website about mental health and zinc, but your personal experience should not be disregarded.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#129 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by IslandPink »

Greg wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:05 pm
IslandPink wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:27 pm Diet's fine mate. Depends how much alcohol and tea/coffee you drink. We can't all be perfect :)
Clearly, if your excuse is tea, coffee and alcohol, your diet isn’t fine. I don’t know, but I suspect you are a rigid vegetarian?
Ha - no, I tried that in a half-hearted way in the late 80's and ended up iron deficient within a year or two.
Rigid ? - I have no problems with that :)
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#130 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by Ali Tait »

Be a ginger and make your own. :D
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#131 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by simon »

Apologies for not wading through all this thread but what's an appropriate daily amount of vitamin D to take in these climes? I think I've seen 400iu mentioned - is this seen as a sensible limit, or a bare minimum?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#132 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:45 pm Apologies for not wading through all this thread but what's an appropriate daily amount of vitamin D to take in these climes? I think I've seen 400iu mentioned - is this seen as a sensible limit, or a bare minimum?
I take high strength cod liver oil (with vit A & D) capsules. On the box it says Vit D 5ug (per capsule) 100% NRV (Nutrient reference value). Normally I have one in morning and one at night.

I don't know is NRV is the same as RDA (recommended dietary allowance) ?

Quote " The Institute of Medicine has placed the recommended dietary allowance, or RDA, for vitamin D at 600 international units (IU) per day for young adults and 800 IU per day for adults older than 70. Other experts suggest that adults' vitamin D needs are much higher."

2.5 mcg (micrograms) = 100 IU.

So looks like I could need double my present dosage.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#133 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by pre65 »

On reading several different articles on Vit D, I now appreciate that Vit D2 and Vit D3 are available, Vit D2 normally by prescription. AND, it seems the very high strength tablets/capsules (5,000IU or 10,000IU) could be dangerous unless advised by a Doctor.

I'm going to try 800IU I think of D3.

Edmund Burke

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#134 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by simon »

There's more than just "vitamin D", I've got to choose between various Ds too? Blimey, you need time to research all this stuff!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#135 Re: Some thoughts on Vitamin D, flu, etc

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:38 pm There's more than just "vitamin D", I've got to choose between various Ds too? Blimey, you need time to research all this stuff!
Unless you consult a Doctor I think you are limited to D3 Simon. That's what I have ordered in 800IU.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pharma-Nord- ... 2749.l2649

Edmund Burke