General health matters.

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#136 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I'm not, and never have been, very good at eating vegetables, and I realise that is not a good thing, however many different vitamin pills I take.

So, tonight I have raided some of every vegetable in the house, diced them up and now got them simmering on the hob.(in a saucepan of course :wink: )

I used to do vegetable soup every time we had a Philfest, so I know I will enjoy it this time. I like my soup a bit chunky so I will only liquidise half and have it with lightly toasted brownish bread.

I'm starting to salivate, so I'll sip a fruit cider (Nordic berry flavour) while I'm waiting. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#137 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I have been reading up on "super-foods" and came across some articles by a Dr Stephen Gundry (who is a real Doctor) who mentioned baruka nuts.(amongst many others). Can't find them on Ebay so I'll do some searching in the morning.

Dr Gundry has written a few books and I've got two of them coming next week.

What I have seen of this Doctors postings seems very interesting so I'm keen to know more.

Edmund Burke

shane
Social outcast

#138 Re: General health matters.

Post by shane »

I’ve been following this and the vitamin D thread with interest, especially having read a couple of interesting and very revealing books by Tim Spector. He’s a professor in genetic epidemiology at Bart’s, but these books are more about food and nutrition, and why nearly all the information we get about them is wrong, and based on bad science. He also touches on supplements and vitamins in the second book, which is particularly pertinent at the moment. He’s also the man behind the independent COVID-19 symptom tracing app which about four million people are signed up to in the uk. I think everyone on this thread would be interested.

This is the more recent and relevant one: Spoon-Fed: Why almost everything we’ve been told about food is wrong

but the earlier one is also interesting in how he came to the conclusion that diet and nutrition should be at the basis of all health care:

The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#139 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Dr Stephen Gundry is of the opinion that the gut is where most bad things start, and the importance of what we digest in relation to gut health.

I might be able to explain better once I've read the books.

PS One of his statements is that food is a way of getting olive oil into the body.

I'm taking olive oil morning and night now.

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#140 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Scientists and dieticians have classified Gundry's claims about lectins as pseudoscience.
PS One of his statements is that food is a way of getting olive oil into the body.
And you think that sounds likely?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#141 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

There is so much bullshit and fake science on the Internet it's difficult for mere mortals to know what is right and good.

I'll read the Gundry books before making any judgements, but my opinion of olive oil comes from many and various sources.

Edmund Burke

Max N
Old Hand

#142 Re: General health matters.

Post by Max N »

Mrs N uses olive oil in many and various sauces
SWIDT
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#143 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

Max N wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:00 pm Mrs N uses olive oil in many and various sauces
SWIDT
Good for her. :)

Edmund Burke

Greg
Social outcast

#144 Re: General health matters.

Post by Greg »

I’ve not researched Dr Stephen Grundy. I don’t need to as what I have read here is sufficient to ignore him. Philip, it troubles me that you are so easily sucked in to this sort of thing.

The whole thing is basic common sense and the online guides from the NHS etc are completely reliable IMHO. All the good guides seem to work around a varied and moderated diet. I’m a bit gobsmacked about your emphasis now on olive oil which has been shouted about for probably the last 20 years and certainly, we hardly ever use any other oil for cooking or for cold dressing.

I’m a fat bastard because I over eat, but at least I’m fat on the best food quality :lol: :lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#145 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

I'm sorry Greg, but I'm not taking advice from a "fat bastard" (your words), but if you choose to continue to be that way perhaps I should feel sorry for you ? :lol:

I realised, when I first became aware of my need to examine certain health issues that (like you) I was eating too much, so that was the first thing to address.That alone was a great success. :D

After that I have explored (and am still exploring) many other things concerning diet and health. For you to suggest I'm "being sucked in" is frankly an insult. I will continue to read up on things and possibly try out anything that I feel might be beneficial. Some things I have tried and found no benefit, or the taste is so horrible I don't want to continue.

If you think olive oil is good then why complain if I sing it's praises ? It seems to me far more versatile than just being used for cooking. :wink:

Edmund Burke

Nick
Site Admin

#146 Re: General health matters.

Post by Nick »

Tbh. Reality is rairley "basic common sense" that's why science is evidence based. AFAIK one of the skills that is required to get a PhD in a science subject is to show that you can research a subject. So the chance what you and I may achieve by reading the net or a book is not in any real sense equivilant to research even though the word seems to be used in that way now.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#147 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

That's why I deliberately used the word "explored" rather than "researched". :)

Edmund Burke

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#148 Re: General health matters.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Olive oil is better than other types of fat. However it is still better to not use it at all. The Mediterranean diets good bits are the fresh fruit and veg. Pure rapeseed is better as lower calorific value than olive oil and doesn’t breakdown under heat.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#149 Re: General health matters.

Post by pre65 »

vinylnvalves wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 am Pure rapeseed is better as lower calorific value than olive oil and doesn’t breakdown under heat.
Better ? Better for what ?

Edmund Burke

Michael L
Old Hand

#150 Re: General health matters.

Post by Michael L »

vinylnvalves wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:51 am Olive oil is better than other types of fat. However it is still better to not use it at all. The Mediterranean diets good bits are the fresh fruit and veg. Pure rapeseed is better as lower calorific value than olive oil and doesn’t breakdown under heat.
We have been informed for years that olive oil contains compounds that when cold, benefit heart health among other things. We use it for most of our frying as well as savoring it with salads , humous etc. We use groudnut oil for stir frying.
We don't eat oven chips frequently but we are alarmed that most producers use sunflower oil in their production, which has been shown to be one of the worst fats for high temperature use.

Aunty's 'Trust Me I'm A Doctor' did a very interesting study

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... -cook-with