A vintage integrated for headphones

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ant »

I got myself some new (to me) cans, a pair of early 70s audio technica at 706 electrets. Ive had a pair of at h7 electrets in the past and really liked them, but sold them as they werent getting used.

Ive got them so that i can bugger off away from everyone and relax with some music when the house is full of noise, so the plan is to put a little system together in the bedroom without speakers and run the electrets. They plug onto an adapter box that in turn plugs into the speaker terminals on an amp

Ive tested them with a nasty little 80s marantz reciever and the spare cd player, and they sound really nice, however i know from the ath7s i had that they are much nicer with a nicer amp.

What id like to do is have a nice 70s amp like the little rotel ra211 10w amp, or the old sony reciever i used to have, and have a little vintage system up there.

In terms of 70s vintage amps, ive only ever had the rotel, the sony reciever and a trio something or other, and that was a good 15 years ago so does anyone have any suggestions on what i should be looking at?

I dont need power, just something sweet

Cheers ant
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
shane
Social outcast

#2 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by shane »

A&R A60?
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#3 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ant »

Had one of those a long time ago, never liked it tbh, and a creek cas 4040 after it which i thoroughly disliked. They both got sold on quickly.
Wonder what the first arcam alpha was like....

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#4 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ray P »

Not a vintage amp in terms of age but perhaps vintage in sound...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-PCB-plus ... SwTM5YxaUY

Pete Millett does some good stuff so a good starting point maybe?

http://www.pmillett.com/nuhybrid.html

A man of your talents should have no trouble packaging it with a suitably retro look.
Last edited by Ray P on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by jack »

I had a Sansui AU717 back in the day and it was an astonishing amp - the only one I regret selling. It was awesome... Used it with my Beyer ET1000/N1000 electrostatics, again which I regret selling...

Sansui amps were justifiably renowned. Find one and you'll be happy...

Edit: I regret selling everything I've sold, but there are higher powers at work and a content home life was a higher priority !

Edit again: Arghhhhh! Just looked and seen what they go for now! Insane! Definitely should have kept it :roll:
Last edited by jack on Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by shane »

I was going to suggest a Sugden A21, but they’re a bit pricey these days. Just trying to remember which of the amps we used to sell actually sounded any good. Of the various Japanese offerings, the one we used to sell shed loads of, and which I haven’t seen any mention of anywhere for years, was the Nikko TRM400. It was nicely made and I seem to remember it sounded pretty good, but memory’s a fickle thing. Don’t know where you’d find one now though. Alternatively, for a real bit of 70s-tasticness how about this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotel-RX-402 ... 890.l49292
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ant
Shed dweller

#7 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ant »

My mother in law has an rx 402! Only issue is that it has din input sockets without any phono sockets but it does sound pretty nice. Or it did last time i heard it, must be about 10 years ago now.
With some 70s wharfdales and a philips cd303

Ive found a couple of candidates, a rotel ra 311, a sony ta 1066 and a sony str 6036 reciever. The str 6036 looks really rather pretty with its green backlit tuner section

Why did companies have to make really good looking kit in the 70s and then move on to making butt ugly black plastic crap in the 80s........

Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ali Tait »

How about this Ant? Needs a little TLC-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUGDEN-A21-S ... SwzQxgLlA5
Ant
Shed dweller

#9 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ant »

Bit much that ali for what i want it for
Looks cool though

Ali Tait
Eternally single

#10 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ali Tait »

They’re nice amps, used to have one.
shane
Social outcast

#11 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by shane »

Ant wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:05 pm
Why did companies have to make really good looking kit in the 70s and then move on to making butt ugly black plastic crap in the 80s........
Sums up the whole decade, really!

Nothing wrong with DIN plugs except for the extreme manual dexterity required to solder them up. I spent most of the 70s with the impressions of 5-pin DINs burned into the fingers of my left hand.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by vinylnvalves »

My first amp was a Tandberg with wood panels... £15 S/H. Served me well through university, until I was conned by the HIFI shop to “ungraded” to Claymore, which was better as it had no tone controls or VDU’s. I had a friend with a Technics class AA amps which had heat pipe cooling.. he could almost heat his bed sit with the amp.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by jack »

Ant
Shed dweller

#14 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by Ant »

Ta nick ill have a look at those
Found a sony ta 70 that looks interesting, although a 2% quoted thd figure for it is abit odd

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15 Re: A vintage integrated for headphones

Post by jack »

Ant wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:33 pm Ta nick ill have a look at those
Found a sony ta 70 that looks interesting, although a 2% quoted thd figure for it is abit odd
I loved my AU717 but it was a monster and eventually, about 20 years ago or more, I sold it for a couple of hundred. It was in immaculate condition.

They're now 800+ on the 'bay. Fna^^(**(&^&&*&*^(O("££%$%O! and so-on...

The AU919s, the last in the series, now fetch between 1 & 2 grand in decent condition. Never owned one of those, but they have a huge following...

Sansui were a great amp design company - the reviews say it all - for the money, an AU217 II in decent nick would be a great small amp, even by today's standards.