Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#16 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Thermionic Idler »

steve s wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:57 pm
Thermionic Idler wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:14 am I'm guessing all the slots are full? Although it would be a ruddy long way from Portsmouth and I'm not sure I'd be able to get the 300B's down the stairs... I need to buy a stairclimbing sack trolley.
We are limited to 6 people dave including myself, and we have 5 so there is an allowance for one more visitor... but is one hell of a drive for one day !
But you would be very welcome if you did !
Cheers Steve - put me down as a +1 then - just got to confirm the time off work but it's usually never an issue. I'm used to doing long journeys although I might stay overnight somewhere on the way back.

I'll try and bring the 300B's, they only have XLR inputs so I'll bring along the preamp as well.

EDIT: Confirmed the day off with work and I've bought a sack trolley to move the amps.

Will PM you for address and start time etc.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#17 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Ali Tait »

Have fun gents. :)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

A great day at Steve’s.
It was great to see everyone after so long. Loads to talk about, some good sounds, bacon butties and scones. Thanks Steve. No doubt others will chime in soon, but I’ll say one thing for now: globe 45s in my amp left me bereft and broken. :crybaby: but I’ll get over it. I’m gonna have to. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#19 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Ray P »

G7 in Carbis Bay or the G6 in Hull - I know which one I would choose...

Glad you lads had a good time even if it did leave Steve C. a broken man!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#20 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Paul Barker »

Well on this ocasion the globe 45’s transformed Steves amp but that doesnt mean the st 45’s are as much worse than the globes. There will be fettlings that will make the st45’s get closer to the sound of the globes. Anyway Steve has the globes on loan for now. He looked so depressed it was the least I could do. When Ive compared the difference it wasnt nearly as dramatic as it was today. Its simply something didnt get the best of the st45’s.

The mofo sounds very good, and the 300b push pull stood its ground in all the testing situations it was tried with. I dont think it needs or could be improved. Steve Our hosts British valve amps were as usual excellent. I like his speakers too.

Anth has done a craftsman job on Daves wood, and Dave’s top plates are perfect, any change would not improve them. Just dcomplete and ready to give years of loyal service.

I really did like Steve Cresswell’s amp with the globes in a lot.

My private thoughts were to build a 10y amp similar to Steve’s 45 amp but with interstage transformers. But after hearing Steves amp with the globes in I’m having a battle in my head.

Daves amp compared to Steves 45 with the globes in had a fight on. Dave has pay’d extra to get good Chinese production300b, but if he had 4 of the best ever made 300a or 300b you would find it impossible to make a better amp with its capabilities.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 pm .... Anyway Steve has the globes on loan for now. He looked so depressed it was the least I could do.
Sadly paul, I forgot to pick the globes up when I left. I also left a mains lead and a pair of interconnects.
Paul Barker

#22 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Paul Barker »

shit, are they in my box? If they are Ill post them. wrapped as if theyre raw eggs. No I think we could meet half way. I dont like the thought of them riding the postal services. Actually in a few weeks Im driving to Barnsley the firm I work for is having an opening for our new company branding, and office is moving from Wakefield to Barnsley. My work mates would not have a fekin clue what theyre all about. To be fair my manager is very sensetive to the issues Im tsling with in my life that have sent my head into a spin, and was very pleased I was having this day, he did get it. But he also knows Im on the crest of a breakdown, and he wants me on board. For which I need to keep a head in a much better place than it is. Im that good at repairing boilers my figures are up where they belong but I give him a few problems with phoned in complaints about me. Trouble is the general public dont see the brilliance of my work abilities and they find something else in me to complain about. But Im still holding onto the job. However its always touch and go holding a job when the complaints come in. Im harder than ever to get!
Last edited by Paul Barker on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
steve s
Shed dweller

#23 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by steve s »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 pm

I also left a mains lead and a pair of interconnects.
I've got the interconnects and white mains lead...
Not much time to post at the moment, but I enjoyed the day very much... thanks all.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:06 pm shit, are they in my box?…
Yes, they are still in your box.
Paul Barker

#25 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Paul Barker »

Yes there are ten globe 45’s in my box. So I have them Steve.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:23 pm Yes there are ten globe 45’s in my box. So I have them Steve.
Good, I thought I was losing it, when you said I’d got them. :)
Never mind, I’ve got something to look forward to now.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Cressy Snr »

steve s wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:12 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:02 pm

I also left a mains lead and a pair of interconnects.
I've got the interconnects and white mains lead...
Not much time to post at the moment, but I enjoyed the day very much... thanks all.
Cheers Steve,
no worries with the leads. I’ve got plenty more.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by pre65 »

I managed to get home by 23:00.

Just before I got into Newark the sat nav told me the A1 was closed, so sent me A17 / A15 to Peterborough. Then, going through Peterborough I got another message saying the A1 was closed (in a different place) so I did a U turn and headed east on the A47, then March - Ely - Newmarket and back roads to home.

The A15 was empty and I really enjoyed hustling the CRV round the bends. Would have been much more enjoyable in Nicks Porsche. Speaking of Nicks Porsche, I was really impressed by it, a really nice car.

The event was brill, so good to meet up with old friends and see a few very good amplifiers. I now need to add a gain stage to my MoFo and see if it can be as good as the one Steve has made.

Thanks Steve for hosting the event, and looking after our needs. Much apreciated.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Nick »

Yep great day out. Good to talk rubbish for a few hours again:-). And yes Steve's mofo was very nice.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#30 Re: Day out in Hull Friday 11th June.

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Finally got home just before midnight, no drama aside from the A34 being closed south of Oxford, no worries as I just carried on down the M40, round the M25 and down the A3 instead - M25 clear this time of night. Good job I did as it looked like the A27/M27 west of Pompey was also closed.

Managed to shear off another of the feet on the door ledge whilst wheeling the amps through the front door - co-ordination not great after being awake for 18 hours. So that's two bolts I need now. Actually I think I'm just going to get a set of longer ones and use locknuts and anti shake washers to stop these things coming loose and falling off.

Very tired so will write more tomorrow.
Last edited by Thermionic Idler on Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets