The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#946 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:18 pm :shock: that little 125 will blow up if you keep eating breakfasts like that Mike! :)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#947 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

steve s wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:07 pm Had a nice run up to thirsk this morning for my ktms 1st service
All the modes will be enabled, and I will be able to exceed the 6.5k running in rev limit.. not that I need to, it goes plenty fast enough if I stick below 4 k20210622_115559_copy_480x640.jpg

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#948 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

More videos - Wales this time -

#1.
Part of a Wales 'mini-tour' 2021 - a trip from Knighton in Powys, mid Wales, to Abersoch in Gwynedd, north Wales, via a long half loop taking in Llandrindod Wells, Builth Wells, Landovery, Lampeter, Aberystwyth, Machynlleth, Dolgellau, Porthmadog, and Pwllheli. 181 miles. Timelapse, 24 minutes. 8 minutes equals 1 hour of recording time. Pwllheli and Abersoch are in the Llyn peninsula; I've been all over most of Wales for many years but have never been here before. Have to say it's quite nice.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#949 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

#2.
A Ride Around The Llyn Peninsula in north Wales. GoPro lost microphone input soon after the start, otherwise there was going to be a commentary as I was riding! So there's mostly music instead.

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#950 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Spotted that earlier, Mike. You may be interested to know that it's the Lleyn Peninsular ! :)
One of my fav places in the UK, I really much get down there again this year.
I once stayed at Aberdaron in October, the weekend of a big gale. When I got up on the Sunday the sun was out, but the waves were crashing in onto the seawall in front of the hotel, going over the hotel and landing in the street behind.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#951 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Google, him doth decree, Llŷn Peninsula. Image

Alright so I didn't add the accent thingy in the video ... too complicated, or maybe not even possible :D

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#952 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Ah.. the plot thickens.
See below for the OS take on it :
I think the explanation is that the Welsh Llŷn is anglicised a bit to 'Lleyn' by many ( eg. OS ) to match the pronunciation better.
Llyn doesn't look right to me because that is pronounced 'Chlin' , whereas Llŷn is pronounced like 'Chleen' , it's a much longer vowel. The underlying meaning is different too, 'Llyn' just means 'lake' or water.
Lleyn.JPG
Lleyn.JPG (243.06 KiB) Viewed 2269 times
ed
retired

#953 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

i always thought it was pronounced something like Chlen with a bit of i towards the end of the syllabub.
My ex wife's family had some friends who had a farm in Tudweilliog, and they always pronounced it as above, and never corrected me when using that pronounciation. They were dyed in the wool Welsh speakers so never questioned it. Spent may happy holidays there.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#954 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Botwnnog.

Sniggers!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#955 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

That was a great loop you did, Mike. I haven't been down the road from the A487 to Llanarmon you took near the end, I must try that next time I'm cruising around there.
There's something special about the light in that whole area, even inland, because you are close to the sea on both sides.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#956 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

ed wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:45 am i always thought it was pronounced something like Chlen with a bit of i towards the end of the syllabub.
My ex wife's family had some friends who had a farm in Tudweilliog, and they always pronounced it as above, and never corrected me when using that pronounciation. They were dyed in the wool Welsh speakers so never questioned it. Spent may happy holidays there.
That's Quite Interesting. I wonder if this is a regional dialect thing.
In a related story, my friend Hywel Edwards from work , grew up in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceriog near Oswestry, then on a farm near Denbigh. He was over on a weekend trip to the Lleyn a few years ago with his wife. He told me they were at the bar of the Ship in Aberdaron, ordering food ( in Welsh ) when a guy sat near to them said ( in Welsh ) "You're not from round 'ear, are you ? "
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#957 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:14 pm That was a great loop you did, Mike. I haven't been down the road from the A487 to Llanarmon you took near the end, I must try that next time I'm cruising around there.
There's something special about the light in that whole area, even inland, because you are close to the sea on both sides.
Yes I think so too – I think I like the Chleen peninsula :D and will be returning. Maybe be able to do the loop with working commentary!

As to the spelling – I just went with the majority of where it's written – less confusing ... Image
Last edited by Mike H on Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#958 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Now where did we get up to to? Ah yes right ...

Sunday lunch at The Geese and Fountain, Sunday 15th August 2021
GoPro helmet mic test
Trying out a different way of using the GoPro, viz, not use QuikCapture but instead have it on all the time (no auto-off, but still with screen saver). As the battery only lasts about half an hour like that I got it plugged into a new Anker PowerCare 13000 battery pack, which is also powering the iPhone which is running maps.me; similar problem there, battery doesn't last too long if Auto-Lock is set to 'never' (continuous display).

ed
retired

#959 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

for Mike:

I had lunch at Rachel's in Hag yesterday...the bigger breakfast is still as awesome as ever. I even finished it.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#960 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Fab! :lol: