2sk170 lsk170

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Ant »

Anyone got some or a source for these?
Or are they now unobtanium. Most of the 2sk's ive looked at dont seem to be genuine ones, and the lsk seems to be only available through diyaudio

I was looking to build another pass b1 buffer with several inputs instead of just the one so i could dispense with the switch box im using and i didnt want to pull the current b1 to bits.

A board and matched devices directly from passdiy came to nearly 100 quid with the postage from the US and expected customs fees, and it was nearly the same just for the matched devices from diyaudio store

Seems abit excessive if i can source some in the uk

Ta ant
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
ed
retired

#2 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by ed »

these are the biz afaik:

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/j ... ched-jfets

and yes, they are now quite expensive as they're new minted.

I have some matched pairs of the old ones but I don't think I have enough to spare some. I will check.

edit: ahh I think you've covered all the angles...still no Linear Ps
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Nick »

I get mine from https://www.micross.com but they have a minimum order value of £250 + Vat.

As I said before I do have some that are out of spec for what I want, but getting matched pairs pushes the amount you have to buy up a lot, and there is the time taken to match them. The DIYAudio prices seem ok to me but I have not looked at the total with postage.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#4 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Ant »

Yep the 30 for them looks fine, its the 50 dollar postage fee thats the issue plus whatever customs takes with the total shipped price being over 35 quid

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by jack »

These guys claim to have "genuine" 2sk170 & lsk170s at very reasonable prices...

https://www.hifistor.com/

I have a few LSK170s but I've had trouble getting more - Linear Systems seem rather shambolic - their website is a mess and it was difficult to get a straight answer from them about anything last time I tried (about 5 years ago).

Edit: just heard from Igor at Hifistor and he says he bought his stock off the official German distributor, http://www.ib-fluck.de/ ...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#6 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Tony Moore »

I bought some matched K170/J74 from this Ebay seller after finding it impossible to get them elsewhere:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/punkydawgs

Not cheap but he also sent them using the mechanism whereby you don't get double charged on import/handling fees. The ones he sent were genuine Toshiba. These I used in that headphone amp that I brought along to Owston but it didn't get tried out there.
Ant
Shed dweller

#7 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Ant »

Cool, thanks for that tony, punkydawgs rings a bell from diyaudio.
About 45 quid in total for a matched quad is pretty reasonable, doubly so as they appear to be proper toshiba nos stock

Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Nick »

doubly so as they appear to be proper toshiba nos stock
I don't think they were made by anyone else, so if they are not Toshiba then they would be fake.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#9 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:42 am
I don't think they were made by anyone else, so if they are not Toshiba then they would be fake.
are the fakes not marked Toshiba?
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:52 am
Nick wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:42 am
are the fakes not marked Toshiba?
You would think so. I was just checking before asking if there was a bit of an old is better fallacy going on here. (not that I am suggesting replacing that with new is better).
Ant
Shed dweller

#11 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Ant »

Nope not a nos is better thing, i just want the things to be genuine so when i get round to building another b1 it does what its supposed to

Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Nick »

AHH but to do that you would need the same parts Nelson used :-)
Tony Moore
Old Hand

#13 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by Tony Moore »

I bought fakes initially. Not deliberately you understand, just that I hadn't realized the scarcity. :roll:

The fakes do look different, they are slightly smaller and the line on top is offset to one edge.

They also sound shite. :evil:

Well, actually this was after buying 50 of K170 and 50 J74 and spending an entire day matching them up. They tested like jFETs and looked ok according to the readings and curves but they just didn't sound as good as when I replaced them with the proper Toshiba ones.

Maybe that was my bias, I don't know. Hard to tell now.
ed
retired

#14 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by ed »

I've had a look and all I can find are 2 pairs, 1 of j74 and 1 of k170, all Toshiba.

the Js came from CHS and the Ks from Cricklewood all in 2013. I'm guessing repeats will be out of the question....
If you recall my rationale for charging you for the B1 was to replace the Jfets, elsewise you could have had it for postage......
seems I didn't replace the jfets at the time...Oh waily waily....

so I'm in the same boat....I need to get some more because the project on the list was for a new latfet mofo with a BA3 front end

I'm not sure if the 170s in your B1 were even matched...maybe they were, but if they came from the Cricklewood batch chances are not, they were just BL grade.

For info, if you weren't aware, you can use GR as well as BL if they are easier to find, or even K370.
jfets.jpg
jfets.jpg (96.75 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
ed
retired

#15 Re: 2sk170 lsk170

Post by ed »

fake news alert

In case I worried you Ant....I've just gone over the notes.....the 170s in the B1 were matched and they came from Cricklewood when I built it in 2008. The later ones I mentioned were for the F6 as spares...