IMDB TV

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: IMDB TV

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:10 pm

To cast to a TV you need a Chromecast plugged into your TV in some way - the TV can't do it by magic. The cast happens to the Chromecast which then feeds the HDMI to the TV. It's nothing to do with the TV itself (other then selecting the correct HDMI input).
I purchased a Chromecast and it didn't work, how many times do I need to say it ?

I was also talking about the "cast" facility in the W10 and Chrome browser, and that does seem to depend on the tv.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: IMDB TV

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:17 pm
jack wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:10 pm

To cast to a TV you need a Chromecast plugged into your TV in some way - the TV can't do it by magic. The cast happens to the Chromecast which then feeds the HDMI to the TV. It's nothing to do with the TV itself (other then selecting the correct HDMI input).
I purchased a Chromecast and it didn't work, how many times do I need to say it ?

I was also talking about the "cast" facility in the W10 and Chrome browser, and that does seem to depend on the tv.
Very odd - Chrome on your W10 machine (or whatever platform) has NO visibility of the device at the end of the HDMI cable from the Chromecast. Maybe your TV just wasn't compatible with the Chromecast for some reason?

Chrome is communicating over WiFi to the Chromecast on the same subnet - a network configuration error is also possible, e.g. the Chromecast picking up an address in a different subnet (I've seen that in poorly setup local networks where stray/unexpected DHCP servers are lurking).

Whatever, you've decided it's not for you.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: IMDB TV

Post by pre65 »

jack wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:22 pm

Whatever, you've decided it's not for you.
Yes, I was really hoping (at the time) that Chromecast would do what it said on the box. :(

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

#19 Re: IMDB TV

Post by ed »

Seb and I had fun setting up the firestick this afternoon.
fantastic!! has all the apps I want/need including the missing IMDB Tv.....
cant get it to cast from Seb's tablet though(miracast)..but at this point I'm not even sure the firestick advertises that it can so such a thing....

well happy...love the way that it can find anything or any genre across all the apps

I remember buying a 3rd party hdmi dongle way back specifically for casting, when the LG Tv pointedly refused to do casting(it was advertised it could do casting). The hdmi dongle wouldn't cast either,
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: IMDB TV

Post by pre65 »

ed wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:23 pm
cant get it to cast from Seb's tablet though(miracast)..but at this point I'm not even sure the firestick advertises that it can so such a thing....

My LG tv has miracast, but for some reason I can't get it to work, that's why I tried the Chromecast.

Could be an outdated app ?

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

#21 Re: IMDB TV

Post by ed »

wow...I'm well impressed..
having turned casting on(Doh!) on the firestick it now works a treat....and the hidden alexa in the handset is a bonus I wasn't expecting....doesn't listen by default, you have to press the big blue button to make it listen(I hope).

corse none of this would have been necessary if LG kept their smart tv software up to date...

c'est la vie

diet: the tv has started making a decaying ping noise at turn on/off...mmmmm
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: IMDB TV

Post by pre65 »

Ed, do you need an Amazon account to use the Firestick ?

Edmund Burke

ed
retired

#23 Re: IMDB TV

Post by ed »

don't know!.

the first thing it asked me when I switched it on was to login to the prime account so it could sync with our prime video.
It may do the other stuff without an amazon account....I suggest you enquire on the amazon site or google.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#24 Re: IMDB TV

Post by The Stratmangler »

ed wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:11 pm wow...I'm well impressed..
having turned casting on(Doh!) on the firestick it now works a treat....and the hidden alexa in the handset is a bonus I wasn't expecting....doesn't listen by default, you have to press the big blue button to make it listen(I hope).

corse none of this would have been necessary if LG kept their smart tv software up to date...

c'est la vie

diet: the tv has started making a decaying ping noise at turn on/off...mmmmm
There's no money in keeping the TV software up to date. Call it built in obsolescence ...

Does the decaying ping occur when the Firestick isn't plugged in?
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#25 Re: IMDB TV

Post by ed »

yes

the 'glass half empty' part of me says...I've just spent some dosh to make up for the inadequacies of an old tv. The old tv is now about to break and I'll have to buy a new one which has all of the goodies on the firestick I've just bought...needn't have bought the firestick...should've put the firestick money towards a new tv......snigger

I don't think there really is a 'glass half empty' part of me...just doing an emotional risk analysis.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#26 Re: IMDB TV

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:30 pm
yes

the 'glass half empty' part of me says...I've just spent some dosh to make up for the inadequacies of an old tv. The old tv is now about to break and I'll have to buy a new one which has all of the goodies on the firestick I've just bought...needn't have bought the firestick...should've put the firestick money towards a new tv......snigger

I don't think there really is a 'glass half empty' part of me...just doing an emotional risk analysis.
Just buy a dumb TV and forget about TV s/w updates.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#27 Re: IMDB TV

Post by The Stratmangler »

jack wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:33 pm
yes

Where is one able to purchase a dumb TV nowadays?
Smart TV appears to be the default position ...
Chris :happy3:
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#28 Re: IMDB TV

Post by jack »

The Stratmangler wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:40 pm
jack wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:33 pm

yes

Where is one able to purchase a dumb TV nowadays?
Smart TV appears to be the default position ...
True - it's not easy, but you can just ignore the so-called smart crap and use external stuff. We have a Freesat box and the Google TV unit both plugged into an AV receiver which has a projector and the TV as outputs. As long at the TV is 4K and both the AV processor and sources are 4K & Dolby Atmos, then you're pretty well set up going forward.
Ant
Shed dweller

#29 Re: IMDB TV

Post by Ant »

2 of the tvs I have are smart tvs, neither are actually connected to the internet. Both are dog slow if you want to use the built in apps, and we have several games consoles that are much better to use for streaming apps. we have amazon prime and netflix, and also a service called crunchyroll for streaming japanese anime which the kids use.
granted the tvs I have are low tier ones, we only watch tv very rarely so I have no reason to get a nice one so a newer more expensive one than the ones I have are probably better.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a 4k tv as the ps5 console we managed to get outputs stuff mostly in 4k so i had to set it to 1080p. dunno how much of a difference that would make
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Max N
Old Hand

#30 Re: IMDB TV

Post by Max N »

I think the best way to view buying a TV these days is:
Choose the TV based on picture quality, size, whether you watch mostly in a bright room or low light, etc, etc. Maybe consider how good the speakers are if you’re not going for separate sound system.
Then plug in your preferred flavour of Apple TV, fire stick, chrome tv and ignore the ‘smart’ features of the TV itself.