Heavy Metal Amplifier

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#46 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

iansr wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:51 pm Ray, where did you get that U channel - Ive never seen any that wide before.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192874068699 ... 2749.l2649
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
iansr
Old Hand

#47 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by iansr »

Ray P wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:18 pm Lots more metalwork again today, the chassis is coming together nicely.

Drilled and tapped another 20 or so holes today - that's around 40 all in and not a single failure (hope you're reading Phil) - the tap guide I bought was pricey but worth every penny. Some more pictures tomorrow.
I’ve previously used the manually turned drill press method. It’s great for accuracy, but a bit of a faff, so perhaps I should try a tap guide. You seem to like yours Ray, which one is it?
"Its good enough for Government work."
Ray P

#48 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

iansr wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:42 pm I’ve previously used the manually turned drill press method. It’s great for accuracy, but a bit of a faff, so perhaps I should try a tap guide. You seem to like yours Ray, which one is it?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Gator-Tool ... C96&sr=8-5
Ray P

#49 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

Back onto my SissySIT build today, installed the speaker terminals, input sockets and a switched shunt attenuator.

Rechecked all the bias and offset and had a listen using the Mission speakers I dug out for Steve. Not the ideal arrangement, my mobile phone didn't have enough gain so I ended up using my Noir HPA as a preamp, and the Missions haven't been used for a while, so the music was a bit compromised. After 30-40mins the SissySIT was just starting to warm up (literally) and the speakers were starting to relax a bit so the sound was improving and there were clues to this being a really good amplifier.

The build is all but finished now, all that's left to do are front and rear panels for the chassis.

Ray P

#50 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

I hooked the SissySIT up to my Lowthers, source was my ValveDAC DSD decoder, straight into the SissySIT, and I played a variety of tracks at DSD256 via HQPlayer.

There was a little edginess at the top end to start but that was definitely reducing as the SissySIT warmed up and got into it's stride. Detail and separation are excellent and the bass seems to have more 'oomph' about it than I have experienced with any other amp driving the Lowthers - reminded me a bit of my 300B SE-OTL amps but after they had been on a diet of steroids! I have a tiny bit of buzz/hum if I put my ears close to the drive units but I didn't pay much attention to the cabling when i set it up so may be easy to resolve - I'll check it out later - it didn't stop me from smiling as I tried different tracks. With a few more hours clocked up this is going to be an excellent amplifier, it's really very good straight off the building blocks.

Maybe it'll motivate me to finally complete the 6C33C SE-OTL so I can compare.

iansr
Old Hand

#51 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by iansr »

Looks the business Ray.
"Its good enough for Government work."
Ray P

#52 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

Cheers ian. I'm just workng on drawings for front/rear panels to finish it off.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#53 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by jack »

I like your sense of priorities: Amp first, room later... 8)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#54 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:20 pm I like your sense of priorities: Amp first, room later... 8)
Yeah, I used to worry about things like that but as my time remaining diminishes so does my interest in domesticity - I'll get around to finishing it one day and in the meantime do the things I enjoy.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#55 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:05 pm
jack wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:20 pm I like your sense of priorities: Amp first, room later... 8)
Yeah, I used to worry about things like that but as my time remaining diminishes so does my interest in domesticity - I'll get around to finishing it one day and in the meantime do the things I enjoy.
Me too.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#56 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by jack »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:09 am
Ray P wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:05 pm
Me too.
Completely understand. Using reducto ad absurdum, I never do anything other than what I want as time remaining is always diminishing...

Lots to do this morning, but decided to look at some bees I moved to an area of apple orchards late last night and went for a walk round with SWMBO & the dog.

Now back to annoyed clients and a server whose SSL certificate expired yesterday and didn't auto-renew...

Photo doesn't do the place justice - the blossom is just getting fully out (there's about 200,000 apple trees here), there's a mist in the valley, it's cool and bright, Lovely. And I'm the only beekeeper...
PXL_20220421_070314066.jpg
PXL_20220421_070314066.jpg (253.83 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Nick
Site Admin

#57 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Nick »

Had a look at the circuit for that amp. Was taken by the ACS723 current sensors, trying to resist the thought of using them to auto bias output valves :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#58 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:45 am Had a look at the circuit for that amp. Was taken by the ACS723 current sensors, trying to resist the thought of using them to auto bias output valves :-)
The AD8212 & ADuM5402 are interesting too - see CN0218 - https://www.analog.com/en/design-center ... d-overview

TBH, the ADuM5402 is the most interesting one for me - the ACS723 series are great but ISTR that they're really for BIG currents...
Ray P

#59 Re: Heavy Metal Amplifier

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:45 am Had a look at the circuit for that amp. Was taken by the ACS723 current sensors, trying to resist the thought of using them to auto bias output valves :-)
Is resistance not futile...