embedded processors and soc

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 embedded processors and soc

Post by ed »

To date I've cluttered up the raspberry pi thread with this stuff, so thought I'd filter it out...

This may only be of interest to Nick(Jack)...

I've had quite a few problems over the last 12 months with ESP32 installations, changes of sim card in modem versions and general problems with the wifi versions.

When I changed the sim card in the modem version from EE to M2M(various providers but principally Vodafone) I was getting many failures uploading to the relevent mobile mast.This was finally resolved by ensuring the test(debug) rig was run from a USB3 socket and not a standard USB2 socket. It would seem that ESP32 that has a sim800 modem requires more than 2amps for a very short period of time and with USB2 some packets were not uploading.

The upshot seems to be if using ESP32 with sim800 modem ensure adequate current from the power supply.

Having learned this nugget I moved on to a wifi system(standard ESP32 board) which was periodically locking. All my soc projects include a watchdog re-boot and this one wasn't working. There are numerous accounts of watchdog timer/interrupt/reboot code not working on ESP32 but absolutely no hard and fast answers. Most of the internet accounts point to a hardware issue......and consequently a good number of guesses for a workaround. As far as I know Espressif haven't acknowledged the problem yet...

moving on.....after the current issue with the sim800 rig I switched the wifi version to a 3 amp power supply.....In the last month I've had no lock-ups, and quite a few watchdog re-boots. It's too early to mention this to the user group but I'm optimistic that this may be the cause of the problems.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: embedded processors and soc

Post by Nick »

That's good. and well found. On the topic subject, what processors are folk using that they can get supplies of? The atmel xmega stuff is all it seems on back order (and has been or the last year or so), I have a stock of 150 or so of the xmega32 to keep me going, but if the supply is not better next year I guess I will have to think of moving.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.