what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#856 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

Sorry to hear that, but it sounds like they think its worth going through the pain for a positive outcome.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#857 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Thanks Nick , I’m only sulking a bit . My overriding emotion is one of gratefulness for being exceptionally lucky .
Nick
Site Admin

#858 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

Yep, small steps I guess (pun intended), #1 son had a stroke 10 years ago in Vietnam, took a lot of time and work (on his part) to get anywhere close back to normal.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#859 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Daniel Quinn »

Sorry to hear that. It takes a lot of hard work . It’s the hardest thing I ever done
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#860 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Another 83.1kg making a total of 221.3kg for the year, or 656 x 12oz jars.

The latest extraction is very different to the previous two - the first was pure apple (63kg) - very clear, light & definitely apple; the second was mainly clover but basically mixed blossom (77kg) - a very nice clear honey; we don't know what they're feeding on for this last one (83.1kg) but it's a much darker and richer honey with hints of caramelisation.

That's enough!

There's still probably another 30-40kg out there, but I have had enough physical work in the heat when all suited-up!
PXL_20220719_103758221.jpg
PXL_20220719_103758221.jpg (69.66 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#861 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I took Jean to the West Suffolk Hospital earlier for a 13:00 appointment.

With aircon, the car journey to and from was comfortable, but at 37C the walk from car to hospital was toasty.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#862 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by steve s »

Lovely weather Phil, I've spent the last couple of days helping my mate clad a large building, in full sun, but with plenty of cold drinks we did a great job. Cold shower at the end of the day's was welcome though.
Today it was well over 40 in the sun, 37 in the shade
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#863 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Today I are mostly upgrading bits of the home network.

The link between my office outbuilding and the house was a pair of 100Mb/s Ubiquiti AirMax units which in practice gave me about 80Mb/s.

Now it's a 60GHz Ubiquiti UBB (Building-to-Building-Bridge). Actual throughput I've measured at 893Mb/s, so nearly an 11-fold improvement.

There's a crab apple tree right in the beam line, so come the autumn, there's going to be serious surgery...

Also means I can back the office up to the house Synogy SAN and vice versa...

All this fuss is in preparation for FIBRE which is now on the pole outside the property... this was the last non-Gb/s bit of the network. The core is now all 10Gb/s, all the WiFi is GbE-connected and provide 2x2 MIMO which gives solid 400Mb/s for all 5GHz WiFi... Zero packet drop at the moment too...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#864 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Bit of tuning and now over 1,600Mb/s.

What I didn't realise at the time is that these units have an LED ring round them that has a setup mode that changes colour as you move the device - the object is to end up with a 360deg green coloured ring with no red bits, i.e. you align the units just by moving them and watching the ring's colour distribution. Cunning. They also have an inbuilt small spirit level that allows you to get the polarisation spot-on...

So this morning I'll move that 93% up to 100.

They also have a 5GHz fallback mode, so if the 60GHz link drops out, you still have something. If the LED ring is enabled, you can visually tell if the link is 60GHz as the LEDs are blue - for 5GHz they change to green.

These things are hoopy!

The house PoE switch is providing 24W to 4 APs and the wireless bridge, meaning about £60 p/a. The office PoE switch is driving 2 APs (6W) and the other end of the wireless bridge (8W) which is around £35 p/a - let's say £100 just for the wireless part... then there's everything else, the other switches, kit on standby etc.

Our printers are always off unless being used as they are power-hungry, and everything else is very modern so pretty efficient in standby, but the house still seems to always draw at least 400W, so I'm still hunting (fridges, freezers, septic tank etc).
Screenshot_20220722-083324.png
Screenshot_20220722-083324.png (163.99 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
ed
retired

#865 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

renovating a woefully unused piece of kit.
I suppose use it or lose it is apt....
mic stand.jpg
mic stand.jpg (136.1 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
brig001
Old Hand

#866 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by brig001 »

jack wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:42 am Our printers are always off unless being used as they are power-hungry, and everything else is very modern so pretty efficient in standby, but the house still seems to always draw at least 400W, so I'm still hunting (fridges, freezers, septic tank etc).
Wow, I thought we were bad at 40W, and we don't turn the printers off
Our network is fairly busy with about 20 devices and multi-room audio, so I shouldn't complain really

Brian
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#867 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

brig001 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:19 am
jack wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:42 am Our printers are always off unless being used as they are power-hungry, and everything else is very modern so pretty efficient in standby, but the house still seems to always draw at least 400W, so I'm still hunting (fridges, freezers, septic tank etc).
Wow, I thought we were bad at 40W, and we don't turn the printers off
Our network is fairly busy with about 20 devices and multi-room audio, so I shouldn't complain really
Out in the country there are some things that run 24/7, like the septic tank which has rotating disks with bacteria etc. and pumps moving water about... the networking & computing infrastructure here takes about 150W total, then there's various fridges etc., all of which are new-ish, so A+++ rated, but it all still adds up.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#868 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

More. Moving from Residential to BT Business as a) you don't get your phone line compulsorily moved to BT Digital Voice and b) you get 150Mb/s download instead of 75Mb/s for the same price, plus c) you are not forced to use a BT Smart Hub in order to keep your landline.

BT Digital Voice is a total annoyance - if you go BT Residential FTTP, the you are forced to switch your analogue landline to Digital Voice and that in turn forces you to use a BT Smart Hub 2 - you can't use a 3rd party hub as BT Digital Voice only works with a BT Smart Hub and if you put a BT Smart Hub into "passthrough mode", the Digital Voice bit is also disabled.

Insane - BT Residential cannot unbundle the switching of your landline, whereas BT Business can (and gladly will!).

All the BT Residential folk I've spoken to say they've had loads of complaints about this. Nuts.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#869 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Real world throughput measured using iperf3 from client on my phone in the house to the iperf3 server which runs in a docker container on the Synology San in the office.
Screenshot_20220723-105954.png
Screenshot_20220723-105954.png (80.61 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#870 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Sitting in a coffee bar in Grantham...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.