The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3511 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

jack wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:58 am
Ray P wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:54 am Mudguards! 😮 It's summer you know.
It's also Wales....
Yeh right !
Mind you, it's got me thinking... maybe if I take the mudguards off now, it will bring on the rain ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#3512 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Worth a try surely!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3513 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Next time you're in Italy...

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3514 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

They're still on - sorry !

Friday was interesting, I was aiming to go out later, and so had a close look at the saddle angle. I'd had some mild aching from the shoulders after rides, since I had put the Gilles Berthoud saddle on. I also felt that i was having to 'relocate' myself backwards rather too often.
So I checked and confirmed I had a slight nose-down tilt, maybe 2° . So I had a fiddle with the adjustments ( there's a small grub screw on the front of the stem with the Dura-Ace pin, as well as the main bolt ) and managed to get it level.
Then I went out once the heat was going off slightly, around 5:30 pm, and did 1hr38 mins .
Felt significantly better, obviously less pressure on the upper body, more balanced.
I've always found it interesting how much small adjustments of saddle height and tilt can make, when you're riding regularly.

ps. Adam Watkins video on his fixed-gear LEL ride, coming out at 6pm this evening. Should be good !
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3515 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

I saw this on this mornings BBC news web site, where they review the days newspaper headlines.

""Cyclists may need number plates" headlines the Daily Mail as it reports on a "growing belief among ministers" that riders should abide by the same speed restrictions as other motorists, amid a increase in cyclists. The paper suggests cyclists could also need insurance and would have to observe speed limits under a shake-up of road laws. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps told the Daily Mail he was proposing setting up a review to stop "turning a blind eye" to cyclists speeding and busting red lights."
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#3516 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Greg »

Ha! Good luck to whoever has to police that. Our towns and cities are already full of both legal and illegal electric scooters, frequently illegally used and in the main, subject to minimal police attention. Grant Shapps wants bicycles to be policed as well?
More Tory nonsense and Daily Mail click-bait.
Nick
Site Admin

#3517 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Nick »

More Tory nonsense and Daily Mail click-bait.
I think the phrase you want Greg is "dog whistle"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... al-meaning
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

#3518 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

or, "Our towns and cities are already full of both legal and illegal vehicles, frequently illegally used and in the main, subject to minimal police attention."

I saw that Daily Mail headline this morning and my initial reaction was that it was bollocks but on reflection it may potentially feed some people's cyclist prejuduces/stereotypes and give an element, in their minds, of legitimacy to aggressive driving.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#3519 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by vinylnvalves »

Isn’t the issue, insurance. As the law is changing to make cyclists - who cause serious injuries or death responsible for their actions, who will pay the legal costs. Where will it stop, will we all need indemnity insurance, just in case. As if cyclists then why not horse riders, long boarders and even walkers. What about mobility scooters - allowing someone with poor reaction times and judgement on the road is probably more dangerous.
shane
Social outcast

#3520 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by shane »

In order to make speed limits mandatory for bikes, you’d need to make speedometers a legal requirement. Can’t see that happening.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#3521 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Speedometers

35.—(1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to—

(a)a vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;

(b)a vehicle which it is at all times unlawful to drive at more than 25 mph;

(c)an agricultural motor vehicle which is not driven at more than 20 mph;

(d)a motor cycle first used before 1st April 1984 the engine of which has a cylinder capacity not exceeding 100 cc;

(e)an invalid carriage first used before 1st April 1984;

(f)a works truck first used before 1st April 1984;

(g)a vehicle first used before 1st October 1937; or

(h)a vehicle equipped with recording equipment marked with a marking designated as an approval mark by regulation 5 of the Approval Marks Regulations and shown at item 3 in Schedule 4 to those Regulations (whether or not the vehicle is required to be equipped with that equipment) and which, as regards the visual indications given by that equipment of the speed of the vehicle, complies with the requirements relating to the said indications and installations specified in the Community Recording Equipment Regulation.

(3) Instead of complying with paragraph (1) a vehicle may comply with Community Directive 75/443 or with ECE Regulation 39.
I can still be given a speeding fine while driving a 1977 FS1-E at 30 in a 20 limit if I disconnect the speedo.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P

#3522 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Bicycles aren't generally considered to be motor vehicles though and those that are, like e-bikes, can only legally use the motor assistance at speeds up to 15mph.
Ray P

#3523 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

vinylnvalves wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:38 am As the law is changing to make cyclists - who cause serious injuries or death responsible for their actions, who will pay the legal costs.
The law isn't changing to make cyclists responsible for their actions, they always have been, but to make it simpler to make them face harsher penalties. As a cyclist I have no problem with that. As a society we have become blase about there being consequences for our actions because generally there aren't any.
Last edited by Ray P on Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

#3524 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Nick »

No, but my point was there is already a situation where a vehicle does not require a speedometer to be able to be prosecuted for speeding. Shane suggested that:
In order to make speed limits mandatory for bikes, you’d need to make speedometers a legal requirement.
With the inference that the absence of a speedometer removed the possibility of speed limits being applied to bikes.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3525 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I should have known that there was nothing meaningful in this :
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/w ... 2e432e0b5d