Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Post by Ray P »

I need to install a torodal transformer in an amp project but, whilst I have the metal plate to clamp it, the rubber/neoprene mounting washers are missing - can anyone recommend a substitute material as it feels a bit extreme to pay £15 for some to be shipped from Germany if I buy from ebay.

Transformer requires 90mm diameter washers.

Cheers
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Post by Toppsy »

you could make a pair of 90mm dia isolation washers from leather. I'm sure I have some left over leather pieces from an old speaker build you can have. Send me a PM or email via the forum if you don't have any spare leather off-cuts. I could easily make up a couple 90mm washers. I would just need the size of the centre bolt fixing hole and your address to post them on.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Post by pre65 »

I'd try and find an old inner tube. Your local tyre depot might have some in the skip. Not car, but motorcycle or even wheelbarrow.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
MistyBlue
User

#4 Re: Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Post by MistyBlue »

I'm sure I have some 3mm thick rubber (I think it's neoprene) washers somewhere, I'll have a look at home tonight and I'll check our lockup tomorrow as were going down there. Im sure they were a bit larger than that (I bought 5 of them as seals for a project) - I can always use a hole saw to cut them to size.
"When we're about to do something stupid, we like to catalogue the full extent of our stupidity, for future reference." - Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
MistyBlue
User

#5 Re: Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Post by MistyBlue »

I've just checked the "home shop" - I've got some viton (fluoronated) 1mm sheet that I could cut some discs out of if that will be suitable as an alternative. If your not in a hurry - I'll check the lockup tomorrow as promised.
"When we're about to do something stupid, we like to catalogue the full extent of our stupidity, for future reference." - Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#6 Re: Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I use Richard’s (rip) technique. Contact glue .
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#7 Re: Toroidal Transformer Mounting

Post by Ray P »

Thanks to all for the positive responses but I can stand you down now as Greg very kindly put some material in the post to me this morning.

Cheers.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!