Thinking outside the box!

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Si
User

#1 Thinking outside the box!

Post by Si »

Right then, the kits have arrived from IPL, minus the wood which is being cut to shape at Jewsons tomorrow, I have ordered some real burr veneer in walnut and other colours so Im ready to roll.

Question is, Martin has suggested to leave the cross overs out of the speaker cabinets and house them seperately (In a matching box of course) Anyone have any experience of this, is it worth the trouble - not that I doubt you Martin! Just soliciting feedback and sugestions. Of course it would be easier to modiy and tune them in their own little box.
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your heart and poetry in your soul.
Brian Harris 1967
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Thinking outside the box!

Post by pre65 »

Si wrote: Of course it would be easier to modiy and tune them in their own little box.
You got it !

Plus the components won't be bombarded with sound waves ! :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Si
User

Post by Si »

My mate is a handy wood turner, I can get no end of virtually any wood in log form from another friend (Forestry commission). I think a nice cylyndrical 10 inch diameter box would look the biz with no joints etc. turned from one peice!! Might look like a posh biscuit barrel though!

Both cross overs in one box or 2 sparate smaller boxes. Will it make a difference. And would one reccomend binding posts or just hardwire it straight through to the drivers with the wire supplied.
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged.
Not with a silver spoon in your mouth,
But music in your heart and poetry in your soul.
Brian Harris 1967