Volume Control

What people are working on at the moment
Darren
Old Hand

#1 Volume Control

Post by Darren »

I quite fancy one of these, so I though I'd throw it to the wind for comments.

Currently I use a pair of mono 24 step ladder attn one for each channel. This allows balancing but this gizmo look really slick.

http://www.welbornelabs.com/remote.htm
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Looks cute, and given the $ is in the pan at the moment its not that bad a price.

Given that I am using a pair of monoblocks at the moment, I need to do something in the preamp area. clipleads of the back of the attenuator to a phono isn;t the best I guess :-)

And Colin might remember that I have his stepped attenuators sometime.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Nick wrote:Looks cute, and given the $ is in the pan at the moment its not that bad a price.

Given that I am using a pair of monoblocks at the moment, I need to do something in the preamp area. clipleads of the back of the attenuator to a phono isn;t the best I guess :-)

That's what I thought, but are there any obvious flaws, I can't see one?

Umm, I'd guess not, clipleads are great. But with the low signal just at that point !!

Yes the buggers have a habit of doing that don't they :D
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

They also have this, though the price is not so great.
easy enough to build though?

http://www.welbornelabs.com/ultra.htm
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Nick the stepped attenuators were, and are, a gift to you for all the work on the 300b.gm70 amps. :D

Colin
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Oh, ok, ta.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Darren
Old Hand

Post by Darren »

Oh poo, now I'm commited !!! :wink:
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I'm looking for something to drive my TVCs, rather than a manual switch, I know John at Bent Audio does something, these might be worth a look as well.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Darren,

did you ever get around to ordering one of the Welbourne Labs units and if so what is your impressions of the sound? Assuming of course you have it installed and working.

Colin
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

After hearing a couple of TVCs last weekend and being general impressed, I have just ordered a pair of Dave Slagles autoformer volumn controls (ok, maybe that doesn't make that much sense).

I fancy trying them driven by the d3a buffer stage.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

Having heard the D3a buffer drive my S&B TVC then, well, don't see how it won't work for an autoformer. It was quite intersting to hear the differences between buffer before and and after the TVC.

And, I'm as generally quite impressed with Dave's stuff, well go for it, I say.

I have a pair of Dave's OPT for my 6EM7 on order, looking forward.

cheers,

-- Andrew
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

It became clear to me when Nick and Andrew came over my place last week that my WAD PREII is not up really producing the goods with my gm70 monoblocs into my ESL's and things really only started to gel and boogie along with Nick's d3a buffer stage. So I'm intending building one.

As Nick has ordered the Dave Slagle autoformer vol control, I've taken the plunge and ordered one of the Welbounrne Labs remote jobbies. It will be interesting comparing the two.

Colin
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

Colin I feel bad not posting this before your order.
I hope you used a credit card do a search for Welborne
there are many unhappy customers.
Sorry Will.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Will,

wish I had known this before. :( Fortunately I did order on-line using my credit card for payment. :D As Denver is some 6-hrs behind UK time they will not be up yet so I have time to email them and cancel my order before they can even process it.

Seems the problem is not one of product quality but of getting orders shipped and lack of responding to customer enquiries. All I can say is I sent an email enquiry yesterday morning and got a same day return reply answering my questions and with attachment of how the units are installed. The web site does say they are in the process of moving premises so this may have an impact.

What to do :?:

Colin
Will
Old Hand

Post by Will »

If you had a personal email they may be getting there act together did he,they give you a shipping date.