Volume Control

What people are working on at the moment
ed
retired

Post by ed »

looks like a clear indication of a business in trouble......on a happy note, I ordered some heat sinks from Oz last Friday and they were on the doorstep on Monday morning.....no duty, no charge..just first class service from fedex
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I have to say fedex get's my vote.

Watch out tho' they deliver then send you the charge, now given they should charge VAT by order of Gordon & co then this means no delay in the parcel.

From memory the clearance fee is a much more reasonable £4.50 or so, well reasonable against £13.

cheers,

-- Andrew
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

all of this is not making me happy,

I'm waiting for a turntable from the States which is coming by Parcel Force,

looks like I'm going to be hit hard :(
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

ed wrote:looks like a clear indication of a business in trouble......on a happy note, I ordered some heat sinks from Oz last Friday and they were on the doorstep on Monday morning.....no duty, no charge..just first class service from fedex
That's just silly Ed!

A couple of years ago I took a card in to the post office around the corner from my old office in Leeds. We got in to a discussion about delivery times and I asked if it would get to Manchester (all of 40 miles along the M62) the next day. He shrugged, smiled, crossed his fingers and said I could pay extra for Special Delivery. Couldn't even guarantee next day delivery for first class between two neighbouring major cities. T'other side of the world over the weekend, no problem.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

on a happy note, I ordered some heat sinks from Oz last Friday and they were on the doorstep on Monday morning.....no duty, no charge..just first class service from fedex
Ed,

Fedex never charge for Duty and VAT when they deliver but invoice you by post about a week later. So expect a bill from them within the next few days.

I used to think I got away with Import Duty and VAT charges on deliveries form ER Audio in OZ, which always use Fedex, until the TAX and Service charge bills starting arriving about 7-10 days after they had delivered the parcel. However, good luck and lets hope they do not charge you.

Colin
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Well, I've just taken delivery the kit and opened the parcel to check the contents.

Guess what - NO REMOTE CONTROL UNIT. :x Kinda makes a mockery of the description the kit being a remote volume control unit! :evil: The batteries and sticker are included but not the actual infra red control. This afterall is the largest thing in the whole kit so how he could have overlooked this I cannot understand.

This is very dissapointing especially the time I've been waiting this piece of kit.

The other very dissapointing thing is the Plastic Bezel Lense 1" x 2" colored lense @ $4.25. This is nothing more than a thin piece of red coloured clear thin plastic sheet. I was expecting a moulded platic bezel lens cover! Silly me. :shock:

I've sent an email off to Ron requesting this shortfall but don't expect a quick return.

Off now to check out all the components in the hope the only shortfall is the remote controller.

Colin
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

unfortunately it seems to mirror my chum Allen's experience when he bought his DRD 45s last year, it took nearly 6 months to get all the components out of Ron,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

Hi Colin

Just looked at Ron's site, and from the way it reads the remote control is part of the package.

I lifted the following paragraph from the website.

"Remote Control Unit - The Welborne Labs remote controlled stepped attenuator kits include a compact and light-weight InfraRed Remote Control unit shown to the right. Line of sight works best but with a fresh set of batteries this remote can bounce the signal off of walls, ceilings, floors, etc. The component leads of the IR sensor are long enough to permit bending at various angles or it can be mounted off of the IR circuit board via an umbilical cable"

Link to page http://www.welbornelabs.com/remote.htm

I can understand your frustration at the thing not being in your delivery.

Chris
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Hi Chris,

It's not that the handheld remote is a small item either. It has to be the largest thing in the entire kit! So all I can summise is Ron knowing parcelled up my kit without the control unit 'cos he hasn't got any!

To add to the frustration there are a couple the Caddock upgrade resistors missing!

I emailed Ron yesterday lunchtime and as yet he hasn't replied.

To say I'm not very happy with the service from Ron is an understatement.

Colin
ed
retired

Post by ed »

Toppsy wrote:Ed,

Fedex never charge for Duty and VAT when they deliver but invoice you by post about a week later. So expect a bill from them within the next few days.

Colin
on this subject I thought I'd share this piece of misery....I boaught a chinese kt88 amp for the parts back in April......it was only £90 and was awesome so I was like a pig in wossname.........I got a bill for £50 from DHL this morning for 'vat and/or duty'....couldn't believe it so I called them. I was told by the girl at DHL that they invoice anything up to 12 month after delivery....it was a good job for them that I hadn't moved.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

£50 does seem exceessive on a £90 purchase. Did they itemize it?

Usually its just VAT + £4.50 handling costs.

cheers,

-- Andrew
ed
retired

Post by ed »

there was the small matter of £100 for p&p, ironic that the postage was more than the amp.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#43 Welborne Labs update

Post by Toppsy »

On a happier note. :D

I just got email from Ron Welborne apologising for not replying sooner and that the order shortfalls on my remote volume attenuator kit have been posted to me.

So it's out with the soldering iron and time for some assembly work.

Colin
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Well the build is nearly complete. Some pics to whet your appitites. Was a bitch to put together. The pics were taken before I switch it on, just in case it all went bang and puff in a cloud of smoke! No need to have worried as nothing happened! Wired up the negative lead on the 5Vdc plug to wrong tag. Soon sorted. However, I was having issues with the cheapo button switches so have now replaced these with some quality items that work. Still have some issues to sort with the display not being stable so I'll investigate this tonight.

Wont be able to report on sound quality until I can get it hooked up to Nicks D3a line stage driver.
Attachments
Welborne1.JPG
Welborne1.JPG (131.63 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
Welborne2.JPG
Welborne2.JPG (143.46 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
Welborne4.JPG
Welborne4.JPG (161.35 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Wont be able to report on sound quality until I can get it hooked up to Nicks D3a line stage driver
Ahh, bit of a problem there. the buffer stage is built into a box now with the Slagle AVC's

It will need a bit of a hack to replace with your units.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.