WD25TL

What people are working on at the moment
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Been listening today. One thing i think is missing, not sure why.

Bass is good, and goes low, bit lacks 'kick', all sounds a little soft edged.

Is that how TL's are? Do i need to play with stuffing more? Could that be down to the obviouslt too small room?

Im still impressed though. Every now and then i find myself trying to surpress a smile, usually fail though and end up grining wildly. They sound very open and even though im basicaly sat on top of them the speakers dissapear. I cant really place any sound at the speakers its just all laid out infront of and above me.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

Well, a TL by definition is inherently damped in the LF. They go very low, ~mimicing the driver's IB curve with an easy impedance load, but contrary to the drooling nonsense put out by the magazines, a TL does not have huge gain. Because they tend to go very low, they also tend to sound slower due to the longer wavelengths involved, so they take a bit of getting used to. You can pull the damping out of the last few inches of the line if you wish, which will reduce the damping of the cabinet 1st mode (& thereby increase LF gain) without increasing harmonic ripple too much. It won't technically be a TL any longer of course.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

I think ill leave them as they are. Im pretty happy with them and im sure with some future tweking they will be even better.

Its always a trade off isnt it, theres always compromises to be made.

Thanks for all your help :)