The Quackery Thread

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#331 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:25 pm See they do earthing shoes as well. Wonder how much better they are than these

https://www.safetecdirect.co.uk/product ... xDEALw_wcB
Turns out that "grounding" is a "thing". There is a lot out there about it, together with no significant science, merely a lot of speculation and some very subjective pilot studies.

The ESD clogs are there for a very well defined reason, much like conductive carpet tiles in assembly and rework labs, but conductive and grounded sheets in bed? I suppose if you're using mains powered devices in bed...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#332 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Nick »

Well we do have an electric blanket.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#333 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yeah but does it have a 100k earth resistor!!!?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#334 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:11 am Yeah but does it have a 100k earth resistor!!!?
Well, it's 10 times better than most earth straps which are 1 megohm, so it must be good!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#335 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Mike H »

Anyone remember the conductive straps you could hang from your car? Dangled down behind the rear wheels or something like that. It was a 'thing' quite a few years ago.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#336 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:20 pm Anyone remember the conductive straps you could hang from your car? Dangled down behind the rear wheels or something like that. It was a 'thing' quite a few years ago.
Yes, I do. Normally attached to the rear bumper bar ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#337 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Mike H »

Sounds like them. Some had like a lightning bolt symbol printed on, I remember. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#338 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:34 pm Sounds like them. Some had like a lightning bolt symbol printed on, I remember. :D
Allegedly, they were supposed to stop folk getting car sick...
shane
Social outcast

#339 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by shane »

They were supposed to stop car sickness by discharging static, although I never understood why static might have been a cause of car sickness, and car tyres are sufficiently conductive to earth the body anyway.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#340 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:34 pm Sounds like them. Some had like a lightning bolt symbol printed on, I remember. :D
That was to remind the electricity which way it had to go.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#341 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Mike H »

Of course! Image

shane
Social outcast

#342 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by shane »

Saw one today firmly attached to the plastic bumper of a Ford Fiesta.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#343 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Mike H »

:lol:

Morgan Jones
User

#344 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by Morgan Jones »

shane wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:08 pm And car tyres are sufficiently conductive to earth the body anyway.
Not on our 1988 Ford Fester they weren't; got a zap each time I got out. Kept meaning to fit one one of those trailing strips (had a steel core). Not to the plastic bumper, mind. And the fan belt squealed too.
shane
Social outcast

#345 Re: The Quackery Thread

Post by shane »

Ah yes, but….

I used to often get a belt off Dad’s old Morris 1100, but only when I got out and turned round to close the door. I think what was happening was that synthetic fabrics in my clothes generated a static charge when I was sitting in the vinyl seats, which didn’t have a path to ground until after I’d opened the door using the plastic internal door handle, stood on the ground in my crepe or leather-soled shoes and then touched the metal external door handle, thereby discharging through the car body and tyres to earth.

Could be wrong though!