Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14551 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

What’s the argument against... water vapour?
Nick
Site Admin

#14552 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I guess as long as the hydrogen was produced by electrolysis of water the net effect would be water neutral.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#14553 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

just had a weather report from mother in law in France...
earlier today they had hail, big as golf balls...many car windscreens smashed, solar panels on rooves destroyed, some physical injuries
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
steve s
Shed dweller

#14554 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Seems I caused some confusion..

Hope this explains better than I did, below should explain regarding my comments

"Steamy Relationships: How Atmospheric Water Vapor Supercharges Earth's Greenhouse Effect – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet" https://climate.nasa.gov/ask-nasa-clima ... se-effect/
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#14555 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:38 pm
steve s wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:17 am Yes and humidity seems to be the main reason for global warming, sparked of course by 'greenhouse' gases
No, the extra carbon dioxide and methane are causing global warming, one consequence of which is increased humidity.
I think we where nearly saying the same thing there mark.. but it the extra moisture is actually doing the damage, but caused by those gasses..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#14556 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Err, no, all three are causing the problem, but the extra CO2 and CH4 is what cause the temperature to increase originally, the increase in temperature increases the amount of moisture in the air, the increase in moisture then in turn causes extra heat, causing more moisture causing more heat and positive feedback. But its caused in the first place by the CO2 and CH4. If you remove the moisture and leave those two gasses, the moisture will return. If you leave the moisture and remove the gasses the temperate will drop and the amount of moisture will reduce causing more drop in temperature. So the two gases and the moisture are not equivalent.

The increase in temperature on its own in a situation with no extra moisture (say far inland) will cause a problem, the increase in moisture on its own will not. Rain (for example) doesn't cause a problem, but its likely to happen when there is more moisture in the air.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#14557 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Maybe I should have said the extra moisture is actually doing more damage than what are considered greenhouses gases, if that link is correct of course ? ( in that moisture more than doubles the effect )

But it is clear that they are an effect of, and interlinked..

I'd like to say thanks for your comment but I'll refrain ...
Nick
Site Admin

#14558 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

To use the analogy in that article. You can't start an engine by spinning the supercharger compressor on its own.
steve s
Shed dweller

#14559 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:36 am To use the analogy in that article. You can't start an engine by spinning the supercharger compressor on its own.
But it is clear that they are an effect of, and interlinked
Nick
Site Admin

#14560 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

It's a small difference but it is a difference. Interlinked infers action in both directions. Increasing humidity does not cause increased CO2. Which was the point i was making about the supercharger.
steve s
Shed dweller

#14561 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:45 am It's a small difference but it is a difference. Interlinked infers action in both directions. Increasing humidity does not cause increased CO2. Which was the point i was making about the supercharger.
Well I can't argue with that nick..

But the original post was written with a very slight hint of humour, and was certainly not written by a grammar expert !
But never the less was intended as being factual, which it was
Max N
Old Hand

#14562 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Max N »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62225696

A link from the beeb about the PR machine funded by big oil etc to spread doubt about the climate science in the years leading up to Kyoto
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#14563 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Woke up this morning to be reminded that Somerset is still essentially a rural county!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#14564 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Not a normal first line to a blues, but ok.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#14565 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:33 am Not a normal first line to a blues, but ok.
🤣
Sorry, I couldn't resist!