Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#14521 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Not sure about China, but I think the USA should not be considered a single thing, it can be both taking it serious and not at the same time, depends on what bit of it you are looking at I guess.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#14522 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

posts overlapped while I was editing....
When I said I don't have all the facts I really wonder if any of us do.
Not withstanding, it would be possible for me to hold an opinion, but I hope I've demonstrated that I don't have an opinion because from an intellectual standpoint I could very easily make a fool of myself....

I have said in the past(in jest) that certain things are above my pay grade....I recently heard the phrase 'outside my bandwidth'..just as humourous and equally applicable to my take on this.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#14523 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Not withstanding, it would be possible for me to hold an opinion, but I hope I've demonstrated that I don't have an opinion because from an intellectual standpoint I could very easily make a fool of myself....
I try to not let such a fear hold me back from doing a lot of things it once would have done. I view having an opinion even though unjustified, similar to supporting a team in a sporting event, it may not make any real difference to the final outcome, but I can have more enjoyment from the feeling that I am involved (even if the reality is different).

If it does make a difference, I have at least tried a little, if it doesn't, nothing of value is lost.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14524 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

The difficulty in forming opinions is getting unbiased information on the subject.

Sometimes I can have two opinions, one on how things affect me, and one on how things affect people in general.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#14525 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Just noticed that the main house Poe switch was turning off some access points. Seems it was getting toasty in the loft! Never had a switch that was too hot to touch before...
Screenshot_20220719-150524.png
Screenshot_20220719-150524.png (178.88 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Engineering solution;
IMG-20220719-WA0007_copy_432x768.jpeg
IMG-20220719-WA0007_copy_432x768.jpeg (170.94 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Daniel Quinn
Old Hand

#14526 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Daniel Quinn »

I think the overwhelming scientific consensus can be accepted . Unless you have a vested interest or your pre

There is no local climate ,every thing is influenced globally .
I therefore maintain we’re are insignificant . If we don’t undertake real change it looks like the planet will be a lot harsher but everybody on this forum will be dead.

This fact explains the abscence of any will to real change
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14527 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I was referring to opinions in general, not specifically related to climate.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#14528 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:49 pm I was referring to opinions in general, not specifically related to climate.
I think in just about every case DQ's reply is valid
I think the overwhelming scientific consensus can be accepted
Unless there is a subject I haven't considered?

Conversely, if there isn't an overwhelming scientific consensus on something, then its probably not that important and just fashion. I generally don't get too worried about not having an opinion on those topics.
Neal
Shed dweller

#14529 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

We peaked at 38c today luckily I was in my daughters flat 75miles away doing some tiling, didn’t get above 23c inside despite it also being 38c outside! Just had a thunder storm and heavy downpour at home much cooler now.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Neal
Shed dweller

#14530 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

I can see DQ and Nicks points even if the UKs effort to reduce emissions amounts to just a drop in an ocean doesn’t me we should not try. Some benefit locally in a reduction of vehicle pollution may be good with the adoption of electric vehicles but we are still going to be affected by global issues like heat and flooding.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Nick
Site Admin

#14531 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

heat and flooding
Also food shortages and population migration pressure as well I expect :-(
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14532 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

We need to think ourselves lucky that Johnson won the last election. It would be 60 degrees C and the sun would be going supernova if Corbyn had been in power.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#14533 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:47 pm I think the overwhelming scientific consensus can be accepted . Unless you have a vested interest or your pre

There is no local climate ,every thing is influenced globally .
I therefore maintain we’re are insignificant . If we don’t undertake real change it looks like the planet will be a lot harsher but everybody on this forum will be dead.

This fact explains the abscence of any will to real change
There was a Tory MP being interviewed on Monday, who basically said economics need to come before the climate and the UK’s contribution is negligible compared to the China, America and India, so why bother. I disagree with this, who ever drives forward greener technologies will become an economy power house when the globally aligned carbon tax is enforced after we have a few more climate change induced disasters. Whether it will be too late by then is another question.
Yesterday’s fires won’t even get discussed, if it had been somewhere important maybe, but east of London and up North don’t matter to Westminster
ed
retired

#14534 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

oh the joy of meteo

at 10.00am yesterday temp was exactly the same as today at 10. Today's humidity is way up on yesterday though...but I'm not sure what that means in these uncertain times.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#14535 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

Grey skies and 21 degrees in Devon today.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.