Yorkshire Gang: Date for your Diary

Subjects that don't have their own home
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Nick wrote:That remionds me Ian, would you mind if I brought that Dac of yours tomorrow?

I have fitted the BNC and gave it a try, very very different to the Berisford, but I don't think in a bad way.
Excellent idea.
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Look forward to seeing ya all, will be there just after 11.
tony b
User

#63 good time at simons

Post by tony b »

thanks for hosting a very good day simon sorry i had to leave early and miss lunch very interesting comparing speakers and will probably have a bash at making the smaller of the two pairs that collin brought just need dimentions scott has these someone said, im sure everyone enjoyed the meet, nicks amps were need i say it superb as usual ,thanks again tony.
Mo
Old Hand

Post by Mo »

Thanks Simon for the hospitality, I thoroughly enjoyed the day. look forward to meeting you guys again in April.
Samantha
User

Post by Samantha »

Just popped on to add my "Thanks" to Simon for hosting and also pass on my regards to his understanding wife for being agreeable to her home being the location for a nerd-fest :wink:

Was fun. Interesting. Entertaining. Plus good to meet and put some faces to the names.

8)
iansr
Old Hand

Post by iansr »

Yes, thanks again Simon, v enjoyable and useful to boot.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

any chance of a rundown/marks out of 10 for the kit :wink:
markh
User

Post by markh »

Simon,
Can I add my thanks for such a warm welcome for a very new newbie.

And thanks to the rest of the "Yorkshire Gang" for an entertaining and educational afternoon. Look forward to seeing you all soon....
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Just wanted to add my thanks to Simon for hosting the event. Thoroughly enjoyable day.

Pity we had no one with a camera to capture the event and all the kit. :cry:
And thanks to the rest of the "Yorkshire Gang" for an entertaining and educational afternoon. Look forward to seeing you all soon....
Hey not all of us are from Yorkshire ya know. Some of us support the RED ROSE of Lancashire :wink:

Hope to meet up with some of you at Owstfest in April.

Colin
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

richardcooper2k wrote:any chance of a run-down/marks out of 10 for the kit :wink:
Quick run-down on the day:
(All the comment's are mine and may not be the opinion of the group as a whole):wink:

Nick, 6em7-300B amp, clipleads, Beresford DAC, Slagle TVC + buffer stage, pot in a box.
Ian, F4, Cambridge Audio DAC (can't remember the model, but its got loads of 1541's inside)
Toppsy, GM70's & Acorn ESL's, Silk TVA + buffer, NuTube CD, MLTL's (enable modded).
Mo, Battery powered squeeze box, frugel horns
SimonC, KLS3's, Zigmahornets, unfinished 6c33

Started off with Nicks 6em7-300B 'thrown together in 3 days' amp, KLS3's and a budget NAD CD player into a Beresford DAC. Pretty good, but the 300B/KLS3 combo didn't have the bass control it should have.

Same combo with Toppsy's MLTL's, then switched in Ian's Cambridge DAC. Noticeable improvement with the CA DAC.

Had some lunch and Mo hooked up the squeeze box, plus Toppsy fired up the GM70/Acorn combo in the other room. Didn't need the heating on in that room...especially as Ian was warming up the F4 in the corner.

I bagged the comfy seat in front of the ESL's at this point, so I don't know what was going off in the other room for a while. All I can say about the GM70/Acorn combo is that given the right music its jaw droppingly good.

I'll finish the rest of the run-down later, got to do some work for a while..

Simon C
SimonC
Old Hand

Post by SimonC »

Back in the other room we had Mo's Red Wine Audio modded squeeze box running into the CA DAC & Toppsy's MLTL's, then some switching around to run the frugels, plus its internal DAC.
The frugels impressed with their smooth imaging and amount of bass from such a small driver. I can now see (and hear) why they have such a cult following and take some beating for the money.

Meanwhile, back in Colin's room everyone was working through their CD's and enjoying the chance to listen to ESL's.
By this time I had to let my family back in the house and into the dinning room, so we shifted the MLTL's into the front room and hooked them up to Ian's F4, plus Nick decided that it was time to get the clip leads out and converted the 300B into a 6em7 singled ended amp in 10 minutes flat.

Finished off the day with Ian's F4 followed by the 6em7. That's a cracking 2W of valve and was one of the highlights of the day for me. Oops, nearly forgot we hooked the frugels and the zigma's up to the 6em7. Zigma's had no bass but razor sharp imaging, the frugels had the bass, but the imaging was softer to my ears.

I've probably missed loads out as we had 2 rooms on the go for most of the day, feel free to add extra stuff or correct my mistakes as you see fit.

It was great to see everyone, especially the new faces that made the effort to come over. It really does make a difference being able to put faces to names.

Look forward to the next one.

Simon C :D
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

which cambridge audio dac was it ?