Naim Dbls.

Subjects that don't have their own home
ian walker
User

Post by ian walker »

david C wrote:just my opinion, but starting with a pair of speakers and trying to get a sound that you heard using Naim 500s is asking an awful lot of any valve amp

Understand what your saying David but these Dbls really would take some bettering if i could get it right.

I sort of agree with you David,but how about 3 KT88 PP amps ?

Now that sounds like fun :D .

Even with three WD88VAs you're only talking about £3-4000, rather than £36000 for the Naims.

Just Googled those thanks Shane very interesting couldnt find anything on pwr output though.

Having found a sound you like so much i think it's right to try and capture it (on the cheap) ! .

Too right and i believe its out there with valves.

I did once, talk about ear splitting treble.....once was enough.

You sure that wasn't bagpipes you were listenin to Andrew? :D.

seriously though chaps thanks for all your interest.

Regards,
Ian.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Every enthusiast should at some time visit a Hi-Fi Show and do the Naim experience. You have to get a ticket first (free from their desk) which will give you your demo time along with 40 other punters. Once in the demo room they lock the door! You are then subjected to half an hours listening and suggestive sales talk as the sales people work through the kit from cheapest to expensive. As the system plays, the sales people position themselves stratigically so they are within your view as they close their eyes and rock mantra like to the music, sorry sound. Most punters get sucked in, leading to foot tapping, rythmnic leg swinging and a round of applause at the end of each demo. For me, Rob and James it really was a con trick. We already had good sounds from which to compare and we certainly weren't sucked in, but the process was well worth the experience. Everyone should do it sometime.

I wonder about the spec claim above. 92dB sensitive seems a bit high to me considering the stable they come from and if that is right, why are they still being driven with mega watts or have Naim really got the answers and I'm only understanding a part of things. OK, yes I am most of the time :oops:

There's something very satisfying about going to a demo of £50,000 kit and leaving smugly recognising that what you have at home sounds nicer and certainly more like music :D

In contrast, going to a fest organisefd here will open your eyes and ears more widely and might convince you to sell the Naims and start from scratch. Don't be depressed. You'll be quids in and much happier in the end.

Best wishes,

Greg
Clive
Old Hand

Post by Clive »

The Naim demos where there is the synchronized foot tapping reminds me of baseline rallies from the Chris Evert days, I'm thinking about the spectators moving in sync. I hate those Naim demos! Good experience though.

What about running those big DBL bass units via solidstate amps, just using valves on mid an top?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ian walker
User

Post by ian walker »

Clive wrote:
What about running those big DBL bass units via solidstate amps, just using valves on mid an top?

Yep ive got a Crown k2 just in case.
ian walker
User

Post by ian walker »

pre65 wrote:They are rather large !

Not arf here's one of mine during a re build.
Attachments
hifi 022.jpg
hifi 022.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 7728 times
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Yep ive got a Crown k2 just in case.
Well to my way of thinking, that would be the most sensible way to proceed.
The Crown could be replaced at a later date if a suitable tube amp was found.
I have heard Naim setups on many occasions, and thought they were ok. but not enough to buy one. That was before i discovered valves.
There's quite a difference.

I can imagine that some Naim users would find it hard to make the change, so therefore it's best to try it a bit at a time.
Just an opinion as always.
steve s
Shed dweller

Post by steve s »

Paul Barker wrote:I must be one of the only people here who hasn't heard a Naim anything whatsoever.
i had a quick listen at the bristol show..
and i had a cpuple of days with one that cost around £600 a few years ago
..i did not buy it though...

if i had i may not be in the sorry state i'm in now... with a house full of valves and speakers

amp choice depends on your listening levels and how current hungry the speakers are

my normal listening level is in the 90+db region at average levels.. not the peaks or scale in the music..
I look at 'normal' speakers this way ..
92 db's at 1 watt.. 113dbs at 132 watts..that covers the peaks
if you are getting more volume in the peaks at those watts it will be overloading the amp and will be starting to distort more than the amp is rated to....
you will not realise until you hit the peaks in the music.. then there will be a lack of real scale..at best
say 30 watts rms from a solid state amp going to stuggle

valves sound more powerfull than solid state they as clip much nicer than sloid state..
its the amps ability to provide enough reserve at the peak levels that
counts, amps are usually measured at the average( rms) not the peaks

you will need alot of watts without too much distortion for real scale
and probably lots of current to control the things..
as you know...

the cheapest option is to see what other speakers sound like to you..

for less (a lot less for some) than a couple of grand there are drivers that will give close to those levels from 7 watts of a good 300b amp...
maybe cheaper in the long run..

the speakers will go sooner or later..

that is of course unless you get some sense and stop talking to us lot...

best of luck

steve
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

those arent paper cones, can't sound any good an impossibility, way off track.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

those arent paper cones, can't sound any good an impossibility, way off track.
:lol:

Forthright, but based on truth. :)