Feastrex - Bugger

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Nick
Site Admin

#1 Feastrex - Bugger

Post by Nick »

I went with Ian (sr) to the Manchester Hifi show today, just for fun, and mainly came away with a feeling of smug happyness. However the one fly in the ointment was the last room we went into, it had a pair of Feastrex 5nf in what looked like a small back loaded horn, driven by a single ended 300b. Problem was it sounded very very nice.

And I just can't help thinking the sonic signature would match the tone of the Supavox very well.

Maybe I should get a paper round to raise some more money.

The onlye other thing there that made me consider parting with money was the Squeezebox duet.

Does anyone have anymore details on the Feastrex drivers?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

I wouldn't mind betting there is something in their n(atural) f(orce) Alnico magnet shape.

I think Jono was also enthusing about these after a show somewhere.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Hi -I saw a price of Euro 900 each !
Compaired to the sound that £59,000 worth of Naim kit made, they are an absolute bargin.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Naim demo, is that the one where they put you on a high carb diet so you get on a sugar high and then get the leaders who have acted out their roll so often they actually believe it's true to generate a falsly euphoric atmosphere?

Oh no that's the Mooney's innit?

Or was it the Russ Andrews Players with the Belt backup singers.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Well, they did have a bowl of boiled sweets so that would help the sugar levels. I almost answered the salesman when he asked "Does that sound good then", followed by "And do you all think that sounds better", but he moven on before I had a chance.

Mind you, the chap behind me was getting so excited, that I was expecting him to rush forward and offer to have the salesmans babies.

I did almost choke on my boiled sweet when the stock naim mains cable was described as very good, and properly put together, which apparently included getting the fuse the right way round!!!!
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Image You cheered up my evening with that.

I've never been in a Naim demo but I have been in a Mooney one. I bet the Naim ones don't visit you at home and break down crying in front of all your mates as though you had just broken off a 2 year engagement.

Second thoughts they probably do.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hi

I attended a Naim demo at the Holiday Inn, Sheffield in the early 90s when the DBL had just been introduced. Driven by a six-pack of 135s and a 52 preamp with CDS CD player, the noise was appalling. They were playing Robert Cray at ear-bleeding levels in a 30ft by 20ft drawing room. It was vile yet the acolytes were lapping it up.

I had Naim gear at the time; old style 62/250 feeding second-hand Linn Saras and TBH, it wiped the floor with the abomination they had at the Sheffield hotel.

Linn were showing their then new Keltik active speaker system driven by a stack of Klout power amps and it was just superb. They didn't try any psychological tricks. Their reps were totally laid back and were confident enough in their gear to allow the punters to play stuff they had brought along, either on CD or through a Lingo'ed Sondek/Ekos /Arkiv turntable.

As a result of this show I ended up following the Linn route, selling the Naim gear and Saras and buying the Pretek/Powertek amp, first with Indexes on Ku Stone stands, then with Keilidh speakers, which served me very well until I discovered the sound of tubes.

Steve
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Hi Nick,

I'm really glad you've done the Naim experience. I feel everyone should have a go sometime because it very readily allows you to proportionately value your own kit and also realise how the average punter gets sucked in.

We've got a good thing going on here.........

Best wishes,

Greg
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Yep Greg, I must admit it was partly due to posts on the subject that made me want to try it for myself :-)

What I didn't expect was just how bad it sounded.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

I spoke about this when I first attended the wad forum and was one of the few who spoke up for vinyl, but I went into a linn dealer to try and buy a cd spinner which sounded better than my useless arcam alpha 7.

First he played me the a 7 then a progression of linn spinners culminating in the £12,000 one.

Then I asked him to put a record deck on. He was reluctant.

It blew the rest out of the water even with it's Linn Sondek midbass bloom.

Likewise I went in to a dealer a few years later to try and find a spinner that sounded good and experienced the same.

Richard said I had gone in looking for an argument.

Not at all, I truly wanted to convert to cd, but sadly wans't able to.
al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

I truly wanted to convert to cd, but sadly wans't able to
Paul.

Surely this is a happy ending, rather than a sad one.
You already had the vinyl collection and have proved to yourself that there is a good reason not to make the change.

Others, like me, rashly sold their vinyl and felt it easier to take the CD route.
Things may have been different otherwise.
Much to learn there is.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

Post by Scottmoose »

deleted
Last edited by Scottmoose on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

They were like this

Appeared to have a round port under the driver, and a square vent at the base.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

Scott that is great that you are designing speakers for companies like this, I bet they are really geting it right. Now that Jono and Nick have said so I know they are good.