Experience of?

If they glow, this is the place to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Experience of?

Post by Ray P »

Has anyone experience, good or bad, of these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200978899700? ... 1423.l2649

I need eight 300Bs for my current build and wondered if these might be a reasonable starting point (at least until the funds recover a bit)

I was thinking of Electro Harmonix Gold 3000Bs but these are quite a bit cheaper.

Ray
thomas
Old Hand

Post by thomas »

Hmmm these looked like a relatively reasonable price then I checked the seller's feedback- he's not in the UK really, he's in Hong Kong.....!
I've bought a 'cheap' pair of 300bs from an ebay seller in Hong Kong in the past and the seller even sent me out a replacement two months later when one had a little internal firework display....however, personally I think I'd stick to a more reputable supplier if I were to buy any more.
Possibly

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/opcart/ind ... uct_id=444

or more to my liking in the UK

http://www.hotroxuk.com/electro-harmonix-300b-eh.html

Please let me know how you get on.

Thomas
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Thomas, you've confirmed what I suspected - you get what you pay for!

HotRox was where I was looking to buy the EH Golds from.

Ray
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

PSVane used to be GuiGuang which is wot I've got some (well 3) of, got them from eBay seller citysystems66 also in Hong Kong, which makes sense if they're made in China, which they are. :lol:

For hundred quid a pair worth a punt IMO, gold pins and might have black anodised anodes by the looks, my similar GG's were about £97 a pair say 3 - 4 years ago. So seems reasonable to me.

Nice to see PSVanes at a 'sensible' price anyway. :D

HTH

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Yep, I've bought two quads of EH GG 300B's from Hong Kong with no problems in the past. I bought on eBay from Chinarts. Not sure if he still trades.
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Beg his puddin' citysystem88

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Will be looking for a quad for my pse's at some point. Must admit, I'm tempted by the Genalex's. Anyone tried them?
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I've just ordered eight EH 300B Golds from HotRox!

Ray
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

Ray P wrote:Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I've just ordered eight EH 300B Golds from HotRox!

Ray
Have I got this correct? You need 8 300b's for 1.5 Watts in stereo?

I would rather spend my money on Nickel transformers.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Paul Barker wrote:Have I got this correct? You need 8 300b's for 1.5 Watts in stereo?

I would rather spend my money on Nickel transformers.
That's correct Paul, four per channel.

Each to their own, eh! You're welcome to listen to the results.

Ray
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Ray, once sorted, I hope you can bring it to Owston for us all to sample. This amp coupled with the baffle speakers you are planning will be an interesting and different combination to what we are used to. I'm sure many others will like to hear what you have created.

By the way, I think you have made a great choice for going for 8 EH300B GG,s. I acknowledge they are not the very best sounding, but when budget has to be considered, I personally think they offer the very best sparkle to sound per pound.

Greg
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Greg. Of course, you're near enough for me to bring them along to yours if you want. We were thinking of a SW get together.

Ray
Greg
Social outcast

Post by Greg »

Good point. I've been thinking about doing a minifest in the new year. I'll keep you in the loop. Homewise, I can't accommodate too many people as my listening room is fairly small, but we can work around that as we have in the past.
Douglas Adams (HHGTTG)
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

That would be good Greg, though the offer still stands if you want a listen in your own system/room.

Ray
Ray P

Post by Ray P »

BTW Greg, did you have a venue in mind for a SW mini-fest?

Ray